Windows Vista AdminPak

Updated here

I”ve been playing more and more with Windows Vista and for the most part like what I see.  However one thing is killing me!!!!  There is no AdminPak for Windows Vista.  How the heck am I or you supposed to manage your AD environment without ADUC?  For the time being you can install Server 2003”s AdminPak.  Go ahead and download the Windows Server 2003 AdminPak and install it.  For the lucky few that will be all you have to do. (2 out 6 attempts for me)If you are not so lucky there is more you can do by registering of the components.  Once it is installed go ahead and copy the items below and put them into a command prompt.  Just make sure you copy those with an account that has the appropriate privs.

regsvr32 /s adprop.dll
regsvr32 /s winsrpc.dll
regsvr32 /s winssnap.dll
regsvr32 /s ws03res.dll

23 Comments

1. William Lefkovics says:

Ew.

RDP. To an admin server, or even the DC if necessary.

I suppose you want the Exchange System Manager on Vista too so you can administer your Exchange 2003 server with voice recognition?

I”ve seen a few people succeed with Daniel Petri”s explanation:

W

2. Lars says:

I have already installed the admin pak but when I run this %windir%system32runas.exe /user:domainadminuser “mmc dsa.msc” it asks for credentials (fine) then i put in the admin credentials and gives RUNAS error 740 saying I need admin rights BUT the user is domain administrator? If I type a normal user i get 1326 logon error.
    I tried running this from a cmd in admin mode.
    Do you have any suggestions?

nice blog

rgds,
    Lars

3. Andre says:

this worked great only thing is now I can”t see the details of my DHCP ie: the reservations under each scope.

All I see are the scopes and nothing else.

Please feel free to email me a solution.

aonodi@gmail.com

4. Lars,

I”ve heard this solution works. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Go to GPEDIT.msc

Select Computer Configuration – Windows Settings – Local Policies – Security Options

There are several here for “User Account Control” (Toward the bottom)

Choose the one with Behavior of the eleveation prompt for Administrators…..

Set it to Prompt for Credentials

Then runa gpupdate /force

5. Andre,

Not sure why you having this problem. I would uninstall the AdminPak and then go through these steps again. It could just be a fluke thing.

I can”t wait until Microsoft releases the new AdminPak.

6. Ronnie Miller says:

Here is what I do.

Open a command prompt with elevated (Administrator) rights. Then execute the runas command to start mmc.exe with whatever parameters you want.

Not saying I like it, but it works for ADUC at least.

7. Lars says:

Brian, thanks
    I tried changing User account control as you wrote but same error message I tried run commandprompt as admnistrator and typed in the %windir%system32runas.exe /user:domaindomainadminaccount “mmc dsa.msc”

still error 740

Ronnie you say it works for you ? and you are using a different user than your logged in account to manage aduc ? did you make any changes ?

If it works for you it should work for me… :o(

8. Lars says:

okay if I run mmc.exe after changing the UAC as you told me then I get prompted for credentials and then I login as my admin user and add the snap-ins i need and then it works.
    great help thank you so much

Lars
    lja@respond-it.dk

9. espen says:

The regsvr32 fix worked like a charm on my Vista!
    Thanks

10. BrianM says:

Glad to see it works for you.

11. Xtrempunk says:

It worked perfectly…. Just run the .exe as the Administrator. All .dll”s were registered.

12. privatevoid says:

My solution was to switch to Ubuntu Linux giving me a more secure and customizable desktop OS. I then RDP to my W2K3 servers and run the admin pak on the servers. I really appreciate Microsoft making it so easy to switch… I mean if I have to RDP to servers why not just run Linux. Microsoft removed my last stumbling block.

13. Bleylock says:

Um yeah. Installing Linux, finding all the drivers, and then tweaking it properly is SO much easier than just running the setup as Admin. Save me from smug Linux folks.

14. BrianM says:

Well Privatevoid I don”t think that really solves the problem since you can”t install the AdminPak on Linux either! Good luck using Linux and getting all your devices to work.

15. Stuart says:

There”s a private PSS hotfix you can apply to Vista to fix the Admin Pak failure to view DHCP scopes.

16. Lusid says:

Privatevoid may not solve the problem, but I see what he is saying. If the only reason you have left for running desktop windows is to admin your windows servers, well, you”ve just run out of excuses.

None of this would matter if we didn”t all have a bunch of windows servers keeping us employed. I”m not a linux fanboy, but I”m definately not a windows fanboy either.

17. Difranco says:

For the issue of DHCP not being able to see scopes see MS KB 935988.

18. Justin Cox says:

Anyone get the exchange add on to work with Vista?

19. John Busch says:

You can copy the maildsmx.dll file from your Exchange server to your local system32 directory and after registering it correctly you should see the Exchange tabs in ADUC. Not the same as having the ESM tools but at least one step closer.

20. Jon Silveus says:

Does anyone have a cause/fix for the shortcut runas failure (740)? The mentioned workaround will do, but I would really like to know how to get this to work properly.

As mentioned above, running a command prompt using admin priveleges then running “mmc dsa.msc” will open ADUC. Also successful is holding shift > right-click > run as administrator on the ADUC system link.

However, creating a shortcut on my desktop trying to eliminate the two step workarounds by incorporating the runas continues to fail with the 740 error on just one Vista Ent. system, but works fine on the rest. I know it”s not a huge deal, but I hate unresolved issues…especially the little ones.

21. Andy says:

I have been searching for months…I wish I would have found this site along time ago. It worked like a champ! Thanks!!!

22. Jon says:

MS has released the Vista replacement for Adminpak. It”s called RSAT – Remote Server Administration Tools. Most things are there, but some tabs are missing.