How to Join a Server Running Server Core to a Domain

You”ve installed Server Core and think it”s time to join that new server to your domain. Since you can”t right click on My Computer any more you”ll have to learn how to do it the Server Core way.

• From the command prompt type the following with:

netdom join ComputerName /domain:DomainName /userd:UserName /passwordd:*

A couple things to note here:

• Depending on how you have configured your DNS settings you may have to put the FQDN in for the DomainName
  • Yes, /passwordd:* needs to have that second d at the end of it.

12 Comments

1. q says:

stupid double-d”s ;)

2. david says:

This is a useless article. The trick to joining a server core machine to a domain is enabling network access. See, for example, http://www.evanclosson.com/devlog/homedevelopmentenvironment

3. BrianM says:

Useless??? Wow those are strong words David since your article that you linked to doesn”t even talk about the same thing. You state that in your environment you are using a workgroup…well that has nothing to do with this article of joining a server to a DOMAIN.

Next time before commenting on a blog make sure you understand if your comment or link is relavent to what your commenting about. More than likely you were just trying to get some traffic to your site by posting that link here. I”ll keep it up for now.

4. Anon~ says:

Short and sweet. We have issues trying to join Server 2008 systems (not Core) to the domain through the Control Panel mainly because of an aging domain controller and that the systems are a sub-domain. This command worked wonderfully.

5. Evan says:

I have no idea who posted that. But it did drive a bunch of traffic to me. It caused an unusual spike, that”s why I”m here :)

And you are right it is not the same thing. Keep up the posting, the more tidbits of information out there the better.

Evan

6. BrianM says:

Thanks Evan. Glad to have brought a bit a traffic over to you too!!!

7. Bill says:

Hey Brian, how do I set the DNS for the Core so it can communicate with the domain?

8. BrianM says:

Hi Bill. Do you mean how do you configure the NIC for a DNS server? If so that is talked about here – http://msmvps.com/blogs/ad/archive/2008/09/18/admin-s-guide-to-server-core-commands.aspx

If you want to know how to manage DNS from Server Core you can find the commands here – http://msmvps.com/blogs/ad/archive/2008/03/28/dnscmd-reference.aspx

Brian

9. Rashid Amin says:

This is exactly the right command. Whoever said it”s useless should not be allowed near a computer. Thank you so much!

10. Josh says:

Thank you so much! the MS server core documentation left off the second “d”, and had me banging my head against the wall. I suspect someone proof reading the whitepaper is to thank . . . .

11. KST says:

I am playing with Server Core and wanted to join it to my test domain.
    Thanks for this command, it worked like a charm :)

12. Neal says:

I’m doing a self-study towards MSCITP and was getting annoyed joining a Core to my test domain and not getting a prompt. Spoiled by Windows GUI I suppose! Thanks!