Most of you want security updates / patches to be installed quickly. This is one of the approaches to Force Automatic Security Updates installation / Quick WUA Client detection & installation. It involves both server & client configuration.
1. Automatic Detection Frequency: For Quick AU Client detection, you can set the value of “Automatic Detection Frequency” to lesser value based on WSUS Server hardware configuration + number of clients in the network. It actually Specifies the hours that WUA will use to determine how long to wait before checking for available updates. The exact wait time is determined by using the hours specified here minus zero to twenty percent of the hours specified. For example, if this policy is used to specify a 20 hour detection frequency, then all clients to which this policy is applied will check for updates anywhere between 16 and 20 hours.
There is a known issue if the detection cycle if it is set to very low say every 1-3 hours. For more information see Reporter failed to upload events with hr = 80244008.
2. Set the deadline for a known missing update to a date in the past which will force the install as the deadline is already completed & the patch has to install immediately.
3. Last but not the least, Run this command to force the client detection, “wuauclt /detectnow”.
The following lists the software requirements for WSUS servers and client computers.
• Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, Datacenter Edition, or Web Edition.
• Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.0.
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.
• Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)2.0;http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=46794.
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1; http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47359.
• Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1; http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47368.
• Both the system partition and the partition on which you install WSUS must be formatted with the NTFS file system.
• A minimum of 1 GB free space is required for the system partition.
• A minimum of 6 GB free space is required for the volume where WSUS stores content; 30 GB is recommended.
• On Windows 2000, install Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE) prior to running WSUS Setup & install a security patch, http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47363 to MSDE to protect your WSUS server.
• A minimum of Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Microsoft Windows XP Professional, with or without Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2.
And, get started!
Here you will find WSUS Database Requirements for Windows 2000 & Windows 2003 Servers;
On Windows 2000: Install Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE) prior to running WSUS Setup & install a security patch, http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47363 to MSDE to protect your WSUS server.
For Windows 2003: Although database software is required to install WSUS, it is not listed here because the default WSUS installation on Windows Server 2003 includes Windows SQL Server™ 2000 Desktop Engine (WMSDE) database software.
More on http://wsuswiki/WSUSDB
Automatic Update Client Version 5.4 is compatible with SUS, WindowsUpdate v4, WindowsUpdate v5. This version of AU Client is normally installed in Windows XP SP1, Windows Server 2000 SP# 3 and Windows Server 2003 systems.
Automatic Update Client Version 5.7 was introduced by WUS beta client. This client talks to SUS and the WUS beta.
Automatic Update Client Version 5.8 was introduced by WSUS RC client. This client talks to WSUS & SUS. WSUS RTM uses the same client.
Hope this gave an idea of Automatic Update Client Versions History.
NEW – Windows Server Update Services mailing list on http://patchmanagement.org.
This is the place to ask questions and share comments about Microsoft’s WSUS server. To subscribe, send a blank email to email@example.com. Check out WSUS Mailing List Frequently Asked Questions on http://www.patchmanagement.org/wsusfaqs.asp
Here are couple of WSUS News Groups where you can post issues related to WSUS & SUS. I will be moderating these forums.
Windows Server Update Services is now officially avaialbe on http://www.microsoft.com/WSUS.
Download it here and find out how you can fully manage the distribution of updates that are released through Microsoft Update to computers in your network.
Dont forget to check WSUS FAQ & See WSUS Guides on Microsoft Download
So, finally WSUS is RTM’d (see here)
http://susserver.com is now moved to a new domain http://wsus.info/
The official site http://microsoft.com/WSUS is not updated yet. Here are couple of WSUS News Groups where you can post issues related to WSUS & SUS. I will be moderating these forums.
For all the stuff related to WSUS, check out WIKI site on http://wsuswiki.com
Stay tuned. Lot’s of excitement to follow.
Long awaited Windows Server Update Services aka WSUS is finally released to manufacturing. This was announced at TechEd Orlando by Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer.
Gordon Mangione, Corporate Vice President, Security Business & Technology Unit said, “Specifically, today we announced the availability of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and Microsoft Update (MU). WSUS is an update management component of Windows Server 2003 that enables IT administrators to more easily assess, control and automate the deployment of Microsoft software updates. WSUS gives customers the ability to better secure Windows environments and minimize downtime. MU is the next generation of the popular Windows Update (WU) service. It gives customers everything they get through WU plus high priority updates for Office and other Microsoft applications. It’s a one-stop destination for updates that help keep computers more secure, up-to-date, and performing at their best. MU includes the Automatic Updates functionality already found in WU so users can choose to automatically install high-priority updates.“
Microsoft enterprise security patch-management platform ships
See WSUS Guides on Microsoft Download