While trying to push agent install from MOM2005 Server, you may see the following errors;
The MOM Server failed to install agent on remote computer <FQDN>.
Error Code: -2147023174
Error Description: The RPC server is unavailable.
Microsoft Installer Error Description: No Description Available
The MOM Server failed to perform specified operation on computer <FQDN>.
Error Code: 5
Error Description: Access is denied.
This is seen if MOM ACTION is account is not having the required privileges on the remote computer.
- Add MOM ACTION account to ‘Performance Monitor Users’ group (Members of this group have remote access to monitor this computer).
- Add MOM ACTION account to Local ‘Users’ group (Users are prevented from making accidental or intentional system-wide changes. Thus, Users can run certified applications, but not most legacy applications).
- Grant MOM ACTION account ‘Manage auditing and security log’ permission (SeSecurityPrivilege).
- Grant MOM ACTION account ‘Allow log on locally’ permission (SeInteractiveLogonRight).
- Add MOM ACTION account to ‘Administrators’ group. (This is generally not recommended but if you have tried all the 4 points above and still MOM agent install fails, then you might want try this last step).
This procedure worked for me on member servers.