Here are a few of the update details for Zune 2 (source: ZuneScene):
- Glass: The plastic screen has been replaced with actual glass. On a hardness scale of 1-10 where 10 is a diamond and 1 is an iPod, glass is 5.5. This is a major improvement over the Zune 30.
- Video Out: The new Zune 80 will have a video out resolution of 720×576 maximum. This is for TV output and easily beats the original Zune’s 320×240 output. The LCD itself is the same 320×240 however. Warning to Zune 4/8 shoppers, there is not video output to TV on those flash memory units.
- Smaller: Yes the Zune 2 is much smaller in size this generation. It actually weighs less than the latest 80gb iPod. This weight difference could be and advantage for Tour de France competitors and people who don’t like to weigh down the school backpack with hefty devices.
- WiFi: Would you like to be the first on the block to sync your player from the car in the driveway? Very 007-ish, Q would be proud.
- FM: Most players require an expensive ($49) add on accessory that sticks out the bottom of the player. Built in FM is just smart.
- Squircle: The Zune Pad offers both tactile d-pad type control and also touch sensitivity. Have your cake and eat it too.