Recently I’ve been working on improving some internal processes at Stargate, one of these processes related to submitting travel requests.
I ran into issues however, when I started building the workflow in SharePoint designer. My workflow was pretty simple but did require that an email be sent to a distribution group setup in Exchange.
My problem was that even though the workflow showed that it had completed successfully no email had been sent. Naturally I made the obvious test to see if the distribution group existed and a quick email from Outlook confirmed this. I also double checked both the SMTP settings in SharePoint and also tested my workflow with my own email address entered, all this turned up positive.
Finally after some troubleshooting with the Infrastructure Team I found that the distribution groups had been setup for use with only Authenticated users, so after clearing the “Require Authenticated user” check box everything worked like a charm.
Now I’m sure there is a way to have the workflow run as an authenticated but as yet I’ve not tracked it down, and for the purposes of this solution it didn’t cause any issues. If I do manage to track down another work around to this I’ll update this post.