I’ve been using IE7 almost from the day it was released, and for the most part it’s been good. The UI took a little to get use to, but nothing requiring me to look up the help file (phew)<g> Performance seems good, and tabbed browsing can be handy. But there’s a few improvements I would like to see:
- Search in the current page. Why bring up an extra dialogue window, instead surface the forward and next buttons on the search in the menu bar.
- Allow customisation of ALL the menu bar area’s. At present you can’t move that “Home”… “Tools” bar, and I want to. It just feels wrong where it is, I would prefer to have my Links menu bar there. I definitely want to move my Links menu bar from having to sit in-between the address bar and the tabs. At present it’s “instance (page specific)”, “static”, then “page specific”. Let me choose what feels comfortable there for me
- Allow me more flexibility when opening new tabs. I have links open in new tabs without switching to that tab, but sometimes I would like to switch to that tab. It’d be nice if the context menu allowed a “go to” or another way to let me choose
- Give me greater flexibility in security without a zillion annoying prompts. I don’t want to be prompted to allow activex controls all the time (I only allow a set of admin approved ones by default), yet I do want an easy way to let a given site use other activex. At present I have to either submit to being always prompted or change the zone for a site. Very much an all or not at all kind of feeling. I’d much rather an un-obtrusive icon in the status bar I can right click on, see what activeX a page has requested, and check which ones I want to allow, a and/or allow all for on a page by page basis.
- Similar to 4, by this time on privacy. I’m tired of the ridiculous number of cookies sites want to store on my machine. But I want to allow other sites to add cookies, yet I don’t want to be prompted. It’d be nice if this was easy to change per site when a page loads
- Adding a site to a different zone shouldn’t require so many clicks as it does today
- It’d be nice if that notification area between the tabs and the actual page could be hidden by default if I have the status bar displayed, instead showing up as an icon in the status bar.
Other than that everything seems to work, possibly better and faster than previous versions. I don’t think the user is in control yet, but hopefully soon