Win 2003 sp2 on Microsoft update now

EDIT – FOR THOSE SEEING ISSUES PLEASE VISIT THE SBS BLOG AT HTTP://BLOGS.TECHNET.COM/SBS AND THIS POST http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2007/03/18/sbsized-windows-2003-sp2-release-notes.aspx

On Microsoft update and apparently soon on WSUS is Windows 2003 sp2. I want you to go over to your servers right now and turn off auto updates if you have then enabled on the servers.  For R2 WSUS boxes you won’t get SP2 automatically as SP’s are offered up but not auto installed.  But I don’t want you to accidentally install this service pack as for us SBSers we need to read KB932600 …but as of right now the link isn’t yet live..

Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 (SBS 2003 customers – Please read Knowledge Base Article 932600 before installing SP2)

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=83542 (link not yet live at the time of this post)

At this time I’m not sure what’s in that article.  Now that the article is live it reminded me that this SP is supported on SBS but that if you need to migrate off SBS to normal server platforms you will need to uninstall SP2.  What really inspired the next section of “You tell us” was the total lack of buzz that this was going to be released on Patch Tuesday, how it was to be released, when it was to be offered up, pushed, etc.  SP2 IS supported on SBS.

Microsoft?  You gave us admins a heads up before XP sp2 was Microsoft updated out to our boxes ..why can’t you give us a heads up on this?  The MSRC blog says “no patches” .. and yes I understand that they don’t consider a Service Pack a “Security patch” but anything that you vaguely hint to on that Advance notice day should be discussed fully on your blog.  Right now even the Microsoft Update blog isn’t blogging that SP2 is out.

Microsoft… you TELL us that’s coming out before you shoot it out on Microsoft update will you?

P.S.  Hilton was right .. if you leave on AU you will get burned and this sp2 release proves it once again.

My apologies Hilton… see you in Sydney at Wayne’s conference.

As with previous Windows Server 2003 releases, administrators intending to deploy Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 may want to use this tool.
Administrators intending to deploy Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 may want to use this tool to detect binaries that will require recertification.
The Windows Support Tools for Microsoft Windows 2003 are intended for use by Microsoft support personnel and experienced users to assist in diagnosing and resolving computer problems.
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is a cumulative service pack that includes the latest updates and provides enhancements to security and stability.

19 Thoughts on “Win 2003 sp2 on Microsoft update now

1. Robert on March 13, 2007 at 2:56 pm said:

I think I’ll wait a couple of weeks on W2K3 SP2…

2. AVLDWX on March 13, 2007 at 3:49 pm said:

OOPS.
    says it a RC.

WSUS says it’s golden.

Definitely put AU on ‘pause’

3. Susan,

I have been told that the update can’t load even with auto updates turned on as the EULA has to be agreed.

The KB article is now up – it says that if you are planning on doingone of these things, apply the update after you do it, or uninstall it, upgrade and then apply:
    – You upgrade from an evaluation copy of Windows Small Business Server 2003 to the full retail version.
    – You upgrade from Windows Server 2003 to the full retail version of Windows Small Business Server 2003.
    – You migrate to Windows Server 2003 from Windows Small Business Server by using the Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 Transition Pack.

ttfn

David

4. David on March 13, 2007 at 5:28 pm said:

Susan,

The Windows Server Division blog has a post about the release of SP2 for Windows 2003 Server. They have linked to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sp2/overview.mspx

The linked page has not been updated since November 16, 2006 and there is not mention that Service Pack 2 is supported on Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Have you any KB articles that state that SP2 is supported on SBS2003? Is SP2 only supported on SBS2003 R2?

5. Why on Earth would anyone have automatic updates enabled on a server anyways? I can understand automatic downloading of the updates, but if you’re ignorant enough to turn on the auto-install feature then it serves you right.

6. bradley on March 13, 2007 at 10:02 pm said:

Because that’s what Microsoft recommends when you install any server.

If they recommend it..then they need to build patches to support it.

7. Show me the technical documentation on Microsoft’s site that recommends you enable it on a server.

Even if such documentation exists, the server admin is – in my opinion – a moron for turning on automatic updates without first TESTING the updates themselves. While Microsoft does do extensive regression testing before releasing security updates and service packs, there is no way they can account for every possible scenario and server configuration.

8. Is this for real? From the release notes…
    If you installed Internet Explorer 7 after installing Windows Server 2003 SP1, you must uninstall Internet Explorer 7 before you install Windows Server 2003 SP2.

And how about this one…
    If you are installing SP2 on a computer running SP1, to ensure that certain applications and components function properly, install SP2 by using Update.exe.

9. bradley on March 13, 2007 at 10:38 pm said:

Hey I agree but if the SBS box is designed so even a “caveman could run it”, then it’s not working. Not to mention the release notes tell you to uninstall IE7 first.

Regardless, everyone is being taken by surprise on this. It didn’t need to be out on Patch Tuesday like this.

“IT Professionals can use the Automatic Updates feature and either Windows Update or Microsoft Update to configure a server on their corporate network to provide updates to corporate servers and clients.”

10. Martin on March 14, 2007 at 12:34 am said:

Gee, I guess she showed you Mike…

You are correct Mike. There is no way that MS can test all scenarios and server configs. Makes you wonder why Microsoft suggest that IT Admins should flip AU on.

The left hand sure doesn’t seem to know where the right hand is these days in Redmond. I am worried about Microsoft and their future. I think there are some big bumps ahead for them – and us.

11. Mike, Martin,

IF you have a server admin, then updates should be tested. IF you don’t (and many small businesses don’t or won’t pay for support) then you are better dealing with an update issue (as MS will support you) than a security issue, which while you might get support, could cause far many more problems!!

ttfn

David

12. I love to spend my time patching servers, invariably out of hours, so the fact I have an un-announced service pack, that may or may not work on SBS, and that I have to uninstall IE7, with another reboot. My evenings have just got so much better!

As if we haven’t enough problems with unstable patches….

13. StMarc on March 14, 2007 at 1:13 pm said:

I worked my way through college with a part-time job at ComputerLand. This was not long after Windows 3.11 had come out and a major upgrade to Word for Windows was released. (On more floppy disks than I even remember.)

Prominent in the installation instructions was this gem, which I still recall nearly twenty years later:

“Microsoft recommends that you do not install Word for Windows while Windows is running.”

Now, I know there was a perfectly good reason for this, but the fact that the perfectly good reason existed in the first place still, to this day, delights and terrifies me.

14. -Xanon on March 14, 2007 at 4:54 pm said:

Installed via WSUS after full ASR backup. So far no problems. Still, one has to wonder at M$’s pushing of this SP with no notice.

15. Note that it says “IT Professionals can use the Automatic Updates feature” and not “should”. Again, even if I’m administering a SBS-based environment, I would not turn on AU. When the customer is ready for the updates to be applied, I tunnel into the network and apply them. It’s not rocket science. Also, I don’t see the gripe about no notice given with the release of SP2. The Release Candidate had been out there for a few months. Were you coming to the conclusion that the SP was vaporware and would never be released?

16. bradley on March 15, 2007 at 12:05 am said:

Sorry Mike I don’t buy the “gee it was going to show up some day”. XP sp2 had a heads up. IE7 had a heads up.

This is patch Tuesday which should have been reserved for Security patches.

You have a SP coming out for your flagship Windows server product and Wag Ed can’t shove out a few press releases?

Sorry dude, don’t buy it. This is a newsworthy event and you can’t send out a press release BEFORE it hits Microsoft Update? Come on. That’s a PR event opportunity missed. That’s just dumb, period.

17. At the end of the day all servers regardless should be patched with the latest updates for security and feature reasons.

Why would you disable Automatic Updates on a server box, doesn’t make sense – especially if running a web or mail server as they are targetted by hackers daily.

Unpatched servers and workstations are a liability and could be more hastle in the long run.

Kieran.

18. brendon on March 21, 2007 at 11:58 am said:

Can’t afford nor have time to manage multiple servers on top of a few other jobs… I went to Windows Update and downloaded and installed SP2 and guess what … I have spent the last 16 hours searching for a way to get my server back up and running… NO DHCP … Can’t ping server… yippy!

19. bradley on March 21, 2007 at 12:07 pm said:

Brendon ..go read that post.. you are getting nailed by Broadcom nics

Post Navigation