Help and Support Service

So last night on my 1 gig ram memory underpowered home server I installed Sp2 and got the missing Help and Support issue.

Now… in full disclosure when I first heard about this issue I had to ask exactly what help and support they were talking about.. I’d never ever clicked on the link before….

Most of my help and support I search for on a workstation (and in fact I need to blog about the Community resources we have in fact as I was asked about that by an attendee of SMBsummit this weekend (via email of course) but if you get that issue… check out that blog post.

(even here at the office I’ve never clicked on help and support)

And yes it does appear that this impacts remote assistance.

9 Thoughts on “Help and Support Service

1. Peter Reid on March 21, 2007 at 12:58 am said:

I encountered the same issue and had trouble finding a solution as well. I also discovered that offering remote assistance longer functioned properly. It would connect to the work station, identify the user, but when I initiated the session it returned to the starting screen for remote assistance. I have a suspicion that these errors are related in that the help and support service is related to remote assistance. Could the re-registration of the “helpsvc” entail more than what has been detailed so far?

2. Patrick. on March 21, 2007 at 3:53 pm said:

Oops. Just spotted your pointer to the URL above. Do’h! Now where’s that coffee.

3. Peter Reid on March 21, 2007 at 10:17 pm said:

No problem. Helpsvc is back on line. It wasn’t until I tried to provide some assistance to a user that I discovered remote assistance was not functioning properly.

4. LaconiaNH on March 23, 2007 at 7:34 pm said:

I had the same problem after installing SP2 on Server2003. Thanks so much for your help!!! I had gone to Windows help, and could not find anything on it! Thanks again SO MUCH!

5. I had the same problem after installed SP2 on server 2003 ent. Now Help and Support service is up and running fine. Thanks a lot… once again thanks very much!!!

6. Dennis on April 2, 2007 at 5:25 pm said:

I installed 2003 R2 SE x64. Then SP2. Then made it the 1st DC in a new forest.
    The above didn’t work. I get no errors when I run the command and nothing is written in the error log.

I then exported HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\helpsvr from another 2003 SE R2 x64 SP2 system and imported into the problem system registry. rebooted and it is now ok.

For some reason the referenced command wouldn’t create this key.

7. George Dunseath on April 27, 2007 at 8:05 am said:

I had the same probplem after installed the MS recent SP for SBS 2003.

Thanks

8. Anthony Yates on May 16, 2007 at 6:26 pm said:

I just built 3 Windows 2003 Standard Edition (not SBS) today and when I installed SP2 on them, 2 out of 3 experienced the same problem.
    Why do MS not acknowledge this issue occurs on normal Windows 2003 servers as well as SBS?

Post Navigation