Small Business Susan

Double check those IP addressses…

In one of my finer moments tonight.. Long story but due to a firm name change (the phone bill was still in the name of the partners from 20 years ago) we called the phone company to change the name..that’s all just the name…and they had to pull a brand new DSL line.  Fine, whatever, tell Exchange defender the new IP, flip the DNS on the web hoster to point to the new IP and since I use a router in front of a two nic SBS box minimal impact.  So we’ve been noticing the Internet was dog slow.  Hmmm… let’s connect to the old router/connection that I still have in place because it’s on a month to month contract and I haven’t yet shut it off, and sure enough, the old connection was and is 6 TIMES faster than the new one.  Knowing that it will take me eons to argue with the DSL company and right now it’s impacting Online tax research and other litigation needs, I decide that after 8 p.m. tonight I’ll flip the connection from the new IP back to the old one.


Piece of cake to go into Exchange Defender and put in the old IP and literally within minutes email is being sent as normal.  Go to the web hoster control panel and put in the old IPs.  So I’m sitting there and after the alloted time for the DNS records to kick in, I test the external connection and nada, nothing.  That’s weird, this process should be painless as all I’m flipping are the external records.  So I’m doing www.dnsstuff.com testing and everything is resolving and pinging but still I get a ‘web page not found’.  So finally I give up, drive home thinking that I’m not giving it enough time.  So at home I’m trying it again and nothing.  So finally I try to connect to the site via a http:// rather than https:// even though the server has port 80 blocked.  And that’s when I see the obvious:



Uh… what “Linksys SPA” have I set up my A record to resolve to?  That’s certainly not my external router that I’m hitting there.  Exactly what do I have that DNS control panel set up to redirect to?  And this is where stupido me make the mistake of putting in 64.6x.xx.xxx rather than the 66.6x.xx.xxx at the “@” record but proceeded to put the RIGHT IP in at the www record.  So I’ve been fiddling with IIS and rechecking ISA when all this time it’s because I had a 64 rather than a 66 in the DNS control panel.


The moral of this story is double check your numbers.



3 comments ↓

  • #   Amy B on 02.08.08 at 1:15 pm     

    The old, it must be complicated mistake. We’ve all been there.


  • #   HandyAndy on 02.08.08 at 3:58 pm     

    Susan, remind me again of your profession :>)


  • #   Karlp on 02.08.08 at 9:40 pm     

    All problems are DNS.

    All DNS problems are typos.

    Therefore, all problems are typos.

    :-)

    We all have problems.