Small Business Susan

The new Five dollar bill

Try to take a $5 on a color digital copier and make a copy.  The page will come out totally full of black toner.  The new $5 has a pattern that tells the copier to ‘not copy’.

The back of the bill made us first think we got monopoly money.  There’s a big purple 5 on the back.

Link courtesy of Bill Castner — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

14 comments ↓

• #   alunj on 03.27.08 at 10:09 am

So, when you try and copy $5, you end up spilling $5 worth of toner onto the paper instead? That’s kind of funny – wouldn’t it be less punitive to simply produce a sheet of white paper instead? That way the putative forger could try again with the same sheet.

• #   Eric Vogel on 03.28.08 at 12:26 pm

To me it more looks like Life money. But then again my brain could be a little fuszy. I also hear a certain major brand copier will detect money and lock the machine up and then the tech that comes out has to notify the government.

• #   Mark Borezo on 04.04.08 at 5:37 pm

The new five dollar bill is just so cute, I want to kiss it and hug it and put it under my pillow.

• #   Terry Schneider on 04.08.08 at 5:33 pm

A super high “5” for the new five dollar bill.
    The U.S. Treasury Department of the United States has validated the facts that Abe was once a homosexual by assigning such a gay color, purple, to the sans-serf big 5 on the back of the new five dollar bill.

• #   chua co on 04.10.08 at 3:12 pm

Do you know how many did they Print?
    I get one by mistake.

• #   libby on 04.12.08 at 4:54 pm

Really like the new $5.00 bill, has a unique look.

• #   J M Bryan on 04.13.08 at 3:31 pm

Any one notice the mushroom cloud behind
    the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the
    new five? Also, did’nt Jerry Falwell warn
    us that purple was one of the signs of the antichrist?

• #   Valerie on 04.15.08 at 10:42 pm

I guess I lead a sheltered life because I just noticed there was a new $5 dollar bill but my bill indicates it was printed in 2006. Wow… how the time flies..lol

• #   Alan Rogers on 04.19.08 at 4:11 am

There’s something strange inside the new five dollar bill. I’m not trying to start a bunch of conspiracy people off or anything, but the thin black water mark, is actually a strip of tape.
    It’s VERY hard to tear, see for yourself. What is it?? I’m sure it’s some anti counterfeiting measure (do to it being impossible to copy)
    if anyone can shed some REAL light on the issue, let me know. As well as the meaning to the “3 fives”, and why they removed the portrait of Lincoln and replaced it with these.
    What is the meaning of the 3 fives? Thank you, serious answers please

• #   RG on 04.19.08 at 11:12 am

I was told the 2006 date was printed in error and if the bank gets a $5 bill with 2006 they have to return it to be destroyed. Any truth in that?

• #   purple on 04.22.08 at 7:20 pm

wow i think the new 5 dollar bill looks ugly…even though purple is my favorite color but the big purple five on the back just killed the meaning of the 5 dollar bill does it really have to have ” special look” i mean c’mon we only use the five to pay for stuff and afterwards we are like finished with it. and it goes on like that in a cycle…nobody really keeps it so why do we make such a big deal out of how it looks. AND IFANYONE ACTUALLY COLLECTS MONEY AND FRAMES IT OR WHATEVER YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE!

• #   purple on 04.22.08 at 7:20 pm

• #   Cindy on 05.04.08 at 4:57 pm

I just heard that the printing date of 2006 was an error on the bill, so I hurried out and went to EVERY store around, trying to get some of them. I was able to get 12 of them and I was thrilled, adding all the money up that I was going to sell them for( I heard they were selling on EBAY for $85.00 a piece. WOW what a let down, when I went on websites that said 2006 on the bill was NOT an error. I feel VERY silly, now.

• #   Shirley Clark on 05.17.08 at 10:41 am

Is it true if you have a 2008 five dollar bill with the 2006 series is it worth $20.00?