Lost your audio with the Dell IDT codec update?

If you lost your audio with the Dell IDT update, go into control panel, system, device settings, expand the sound section, and find the IDT audio driver.  Click on it, then go to the driver tab and click on “Roll Back Driver”

This will roll you back to the last working driver.

And as my Sister said… it’s no wonder folks are saying “I don’t want Vista” with stories like this.  And she HAS a Vista machine and loves it!  It annoys me when “lack of testing” smacks me in the face.

15 Thoughts on “Lost your audio with the Dell IDT codec update?

1. indy on May 2, 2008 at 2:39 pm said:

Drivers are the single primary reason we refuse to move to Vista.

On our HP nc2400 notebooks, three direct drivers conflict with hibernation and suspend. (the result being the user must reboot the OS every 5 or six suspends.) You can verify this in Vista’s system health report troubleshooting tool.

The drivers are video provided by Intel (Hp has not released a fix,)
    Fingerprint driver. (again, no update from HP)
    Bluetooth Driver. (Guess what? no fix!)

All three of these drivers are used actively in XP and work perfectly. All users can hibernate/suspend, as well as use each of these drivers as intended with no issues.

So this OS is a year and a half old. When will this be fixed to provide us with basic functionality? We haven’t even gotten to integrated graphics+aero on Vista, which is a joke!

2. Dave Horne on May 3, 2008 at 6:37 am said:

I rolled back the IDT driver and I still had no Playback Devices.

The solution seems to be installing another SigmaTel driver (go to http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_audio&thread.id=83029 ).

Read that thread and there is a link to a another driver (offered via Dell) that not only solved my problem but allowed SP1 to be offered to me.

To initially solve my problem with that IDT driver, I did a System Restore and that worked though I was still not being offered SP1 from Windows Update. I then tried to recreate this problem (I have a lot of free time) and installed that optional IDT update again. I then went to Device Manager and ‘roll back’ that driver but I was still left with no Playback Devices. Rolling back the driver does not work for everyone … and that was a surprise to me!

Installing that ‘other’ SigmaTel driver via Dell solved my initial problem and also allowed SP1 to finally be offered to me.

(As an aside, in order to successfully install the SP1 I had to first disable my McAfee Firewall \ AV program.)

3. Geo on May 3, 2008 at 9:26 am said:

Really? I haven’t had a single driver problem on my Dell machine but of course my Dell runs using an ATI driver, not an integrated one. I don’t have a bluetooth adapter so that’s not an issue, nor do I have a fingerprint reader. It looks like HP is the one that’s not releasing any updates, Dell has been releasing updates.

I dodged the Sigmatel IDT codec error. I completely removed Sigmatel and went for Microsoft’s Driver that’s just called “High Definition Audio Codec”. Yes it was a very risky move but I like to experiment and when your experiment results are satisfactory, then everything works out.

4. Hi! My own case seems to be more complicated right now. I installed an update for the IDT- Audio – IDT Definition Audio CODEC 2 days ago, and since then I’ve been struggling with getting my audio output device back. But just some hrs before i got to see this blog, i uninstalled the CODEC from my audio, video and games controllers list. How do I get it back, I mean like is there any way I could re-install it? coz right now, I’m aware of what went wrong, but I’ve already uninstalled it. I’m really confused right now.

5. Cesar, HUNGARY on May 4, 2008 at 12:29 am said:

Hi,
    Thanks for the post. Rollback worked for me. It’s ridiculous we have such issues with an OS like that.
    Cesar

6. Winifred Philips on May 4, 2008 at 10:49 am said:

Hi!
    I tried roll-back, but it didn’t work for me. Finally i got back my Audio Output device in an entirely different way.It’s very simple…all i did was perform a system restore, and everything went back to the way it was before i updated the Audio CODEC.
    Anywayz, thanks for your suggested option.:)

7. Joey on May 7, 2008 at 2:26 pm said:

What if the point you want to restore it to isn’t listed as an option for a restore point?(I want to restore mine to the 1st or 30th)

8. The same problem got on Windows Xp, so it’s not a Vista problem, for sure. Had the same problem already years ago – installed update for SigmaTel audio, even if audio was working just fine :)

9. E.P. on June 3, 2008 at 6:37 pm said:

Hi Susan. You did not mention what specific model
    of Dell computer your sister was using. Dell has released different IDT/Sigmatel audio driver packages for certain Dell laptop & desktop computers. One IDT/Sigmatel audio driver package designed specifically for Dell desktop PCs will NOT work for Dell laptop PCs and vice versa.

Dell has released the SIGMATEL_STAC-92XX-C-Major-H_A06_R182475.exe file which contains version 6.10.5866.0 of the IDT/Sigmatel 92xx HD Audio drivers on May 19. Note that this package is for Dell Optiplex 740 desktop computers and possibly other Dell Dimension/XPS desktop computers. This package will NOT work for Dell notebook computers.

message for Mr. “indy”: HP does have Vista SP1 compatible “Fingerprint drivers” on their web site. You just have to search for them. If your HP nc2400 computer uses Authentec Fingerprint drivers, download the sp39199.exe file (released April 30, 2008) which should have the latest Authentec Fingerprint drivers for almost any Authentec fingerprint device.

For the Intel 945gm drivers on HP NC2400 notebook computer consider obtaining version 7.14.10.1461 of the Intel 945gm graphics drivers from Intel’s web site instead of the HP site.

10. Katia on June 7, 2008 at 12:39 pm said:

same happened to me. CANT ROLL BACK VERSION. can anyone please help me, with where can i find another driver to replace the broken one as my audio devices arent working????????????????????????????? please help ;)))

11. Arnt R. on June 9, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

Hey! Look for a file called R122161.exe (or.zip), it’s an older Dell Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio Driver.

It worked with an Dell Latitude D520. And should work with several other models as well.

12. ARnt R. on June 9, 2008 at 4:00 pm said:

Look at Dell R122161. Google or whatever, you should find it.

13. Beth Russell on June 9, 2008 at 11:56 pm said:

Forget the IDT fix-it breaks what worked fine,

Sigma-tel is the answer, Follow the instructions that match your system. Needless to say, the Dell change created a tsunamui. Why should anything be different.
    Good Luck

14. david on June 11, 2008 at 9:39 pm said:

i cant find device settings

15. version tracker has a new update download that solves problems for ecs and vista sp1

Post Navigation