Small Business Susan

How many of you have SBS Monitoring reports that as of lately have gotten a little funky?

Can you guys do me a favor?

(Meaning that one day they will work, another day they won’t)

When you go to the server monitoring console and select Monitoring the
screen comes up with

The page cannot be displayed
      An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

If you are one of these folks, so far we’ve seen this on SBS 2003 R2 servers that have integrated WSUS’s.

If you see this can you send me a list of the servers you’ve seen this on?

What a/v is on that specific server?

What the processors and RAM specs are on the impacted servers?

And if you’ve installed the SQL patch?

And are you on WSUS 2 or WSUS 3?

Right now we’re on a fishing expedition and we/I honestly don’t think it’s due to the SQL patches because we’ve seen it happen prior to that but we’re just wanting to see if there’s a pattern somewhere.

(thanks for helping out in gathering this info ahead of time btw)

34 comments ↓

• #   Philip Elder on 07.25.08 at 10:24 pm

Susan,
    The URL in the “View Article” link in Outlook looks to be broken from your feed: http://blogs/bradley/archive/2008/07/25/how-many-of-you-have-sbs-monitoring-reports-that-as-of-lately-have-gotten-a-little-funky.aspx

As to your question:
    2 SBS boxes post SQL update have been displaying SBSMonitoring errors.
    One is running Symantec 10.2 A/V on the server.
    The second is not running A/V at this time (long story – soon to end).

Philip

• #   Xavier on 07.26.08 at 4:42 am

We do encounter this behavior with two low-end servers we manage:

Dell SC440, 1GB RAM, Pentium D 2.8GHz, SBS2003R2, Trend-Micro CSM 3.6, WSUS2

Not related to a SQL patch recently installed. This happened 4 months ago, so far we open a RWW connection and have a look at the reports on the box itself.

• #   Mike on 07.26.08 at 10:03 am

I’m seeing the funkiness on my box, along with a similar timeout error when I go to Update Services in Server Management…

No a/v, single 2.8GHz cpu with 2GB ram, SQL patch installed, WSUS 3 SP1.

• #   Wayne Kent on 07.26.08 at 10:57 am

I have always had this problem on all SBS R2 servers where they were upgraded to WSUS3. The first monitoring report after the upgrade would be horked and I would run the motioring and reporting wizard to reset it. From time to time the reports go west and re-running monitoring and reporting wizard is only fix. This happened before SQL Patch.

All servers Xeon Procs, 4G RAM, SCSI RAID, Trend Micro.

• #   John on 07.26.08 at 11:36 am

I manage two servers. One is having the problem, one is not. The one that isn’t does NOT have WSUS installed.

The one that IS having the problem does have WSUS installed but I have NOT installed the SQL patches yet (but all other patches are installed).

AV is Trend Micro CSM v 3.6 (pretty sure that’s the version).

CPU is 2 x single core Xeon (about 3 years old). 4 gb of ram (or whatever is max for SBS 2003).

WSUS 3.

• #   Tim Sullivan on 07.26.08 at 4:16 pm

Susan-

We have had this problem to different degrees on all four of our R2 installs. Here is what we have:

All Dell PE 840s.
    All have Trend CSM 3.5 or 3.6.
    3 servers have 2GB of RAM, 1 has 4GB.
    3 servers have Pentium D 915 processor, 1 has Dual Core 3060.
    All have SATA drives.
    2 server are running WSUS 2 and 2 are running WSUS 3.0 SP1.
    NONE of the servers have the newly release SQL patch.

I “reinstalled” the monitoring on one which kicked it into gear for a couple of days, then it stopped for 3 days and then we got two more good reports. Another one of the servers we have gotten a good report for two weeks.

This is driving us crazy! Please let me know if you come up with an answer.

• #   Steve on 07.27.08 at 7:44 am

snip:
    “I “reinstalled” the monitoring on one which kicked it into gear for a couple of days, then it stopped for 3 days and then we got two more good reports. Another one of the servers we have gotten a good report for two weeks”
    Exact same thing here. We’ll call system 1 the one I reinstalled.
    System 1:
    Home Built, R2,1Gb, no A/V, WSUS 3.0 SQL patches applied
    System 2:
    Dell R2, 2Gb, AVG, WSUS 3.0 patches not applied.
    System 2 occasionally sends the morning email report out in plain text but has not done the “page cannot be displayed”

• #   Steven Parkinson on 07.27.08 at 3:50 pm

Both are R2 Versions, both produce the same error in the application log at the time of sending the reports and if trying to view the reports on the local server console.The error on the monitoring page is “page cannot be displayed”

Server Status Report:
    URL: http://localhost/monitoring/perf.aspx?reportMode=0
    Error Message: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, TdsParserState state)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadNetlib(Int32 bytesExpected)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadBuffer()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadByteArray(Byte[] buff, Int32 offset, Int32 len)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadString(Int32 length)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadValue(_SqlMetaData md, Int32 length)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ProcessRow(_SqlMetaData[] columns, Object[] buffer, Int32[] map, Boolean useSQLTypes)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.PrepareRecord(Int32 i)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetValue(Int32 i)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.GenericReadableRow.ReadRow(IDataRecord record)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.MultipleResultSetsSPHandler.ExecuteStoredProcedure(DBConnection connection)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.GenericDataAccess.ExecuteSP(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, IExecuteSPHandler handler, Int32 queryTimeoutInSeconds)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.GenericDataAccess.ExecuteSP(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, IExecuteSPHandler handler)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DataAccess.ExecuteSPMultipleResultSets(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, Type[] resultTypes)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccess.ExecuteSPCompleteUpdatesResult(String spName, DBParameterCollection args)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccess.ExecuteSPGetAllUpdates(String preferredCulture, Int32 approvedStates, DateTime fromSyncDate, DateTime toSyncDate, Guid[] updateCategoryIds, Guid[] updateClassificationIds, Int32 publicationState)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.GetAll(ApprovedStates approvedStates, DateTime fromSyncDate, DateTime toSyncDate, UpdateCategoryCollection updateCategories, UpdateClassificationCollection updateClassifications, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.GetAll(ApprovedStates approvedStates, DateTime fromSyncDate, DateTime toSyncDate, UpdateCategoryCollection updateCategories, UpdateClassificationCollection updateClassifications)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetUpdates(ApprovedStates approvedStates, DateTime fromSyncDate, DateTime toSyncDate, UpdateCategoryCollection updateCategories, UpdateClassificationCollection updateClassifications)
    at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetScheduledUpdates()
    at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetStatusItems()
    at usage.frmPerf.PopulateStatusItems()
    at usage.frmPerf.renderReportWorker()
    at usage.frmPerf.renderReport()
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Server 1 Dell PE840
    1 CPU Xeon 3050
    4GB Ram
    RAID1 SATA
    Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.2000.1567 (MR2)
    Wsus 3 and SQL Patches applied

Server 2 Dell PE2900
    2 CPU Xeon 3150
    4GB Ram
    RAID1 OS RAID5 DATA SAS
    Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.2000.1567 (MR2)
    Wsus 3 and SQL Patches applied

• #   SRW on 07.28.08 at 10:26 am

Susan,

We have seen this on at least one R2 box so far and it DID start after the SQL patches.

Dell PowerEdge
    NOD32 Business Edition Ver2.7
    WSUS 2.0

Operating System: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003 for Small Business Server Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
    Frequency: 2.8 GHz, 2.8 GHz
    Amount of RAM: 1024 MB

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ServerStatusReports
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 7/17/2008
    Time: 6:03:14 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ***SBS
    Description:
    Server Status Report:
    URL:http://localhost/
    Stack Trace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, TdsParserState state) at system.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.
    OnError(SqlException exception, TdsParserState state)

• #   Jeff on 07.28.08 at 10:46 am

I have had this issue on six clients’ servers since July 15th’s report. One had it for just a few days before it “fixed” itself and has been fine since. Three of them have worked for a day or two and the other two have not worked at all. I have other clients with SBS R2 servers that have been just fine.

I have been working with the MVP’s in the SBSC community but need time to test suggestions from the MVP’s. We have tried restarting the server and even reinstalling the Monitoring settings. From what I can see, the issue is in Update Services. I can open us the WSUS browser and everything is fine until I get to the Updates section. It times out and fails. The same thing happens in the Server Management console. My thought is the performance report cannot pull the information from WSUS and times out, creating a blank report.

Here is information about the five servers that do not work.

They are all SBS R2 servers with WSUS 2. No SQL patch yet.
    They have either Symantec antivirus ranging from version 10.1.0 to 10.1.6 on the server and Symantec mail security ranging from version 5.02 to 5.0.4.
    They are all Dell PowerEdge servers with at least 3 GB of memory.

This one has failed off and on but mostly failed with two good days since July 15. It has service pack 2.
    The PE 1600SC has a Xeon 2.80 GHz proc with hyper threading and 3 GB of RAM. It has Symantec 10.1.4 and Symantec mail security version 5.0.2.221.

This one has failed to report since July 15. It has service pack 2.
    The PE 830 has a Pentium D 3.40 GHz proc with hyper threading and 4 GB of RAM. It has Symantec 10.1.0.394 and Symantec mail security version 5.0.2.221.

This one has failed to report since July 15. It has service pack 2.
    The PE 1900 has a Xeon E5130 quad-core processor 1.60 GHz proc with 4 GB of RAM. It has Symantec 10.1.5 and Symantec mail security version 5.0.4.363.

This one has worked off and on since July 15 working about every other day. It has service pack 2.
    The PE 1900 has a Xeon E5335 quad-core processor 2.00 GHz proc with 4 GB of RAM. It has Symantec 10.1.6 and Symantec mail security version 5.0.5.366.

This one has worked off and on since July 15, but has mainly failed to report. It has service pack 1.

• #   Jim Barr on 07.28.08 at 10:59 am

One Dell 2950 R2 server, WSU3, Trend 3.6, 4Gb., Dual/Dual Xeon, loaded and running 18 months never had a monitoring report problem.

One Dell 2900 R2 server, WSU3, Trend 3.6, 4Gb., Single/Quad Xeon, loaded and running 3 months monitoring report problem has happened twice.

Several pre R2 systems, don’t recall a monitoring report problem on any.

• #   Darren Sargent on 07.28.08 at 4:51 pm

We’ve got one client with an SBS 2003 R2 server that we’ve had this issue on.

It’s an HP Proliant ML115 with 3GB of RAM.

A/V is McAfee Enterprise v8.5i (as licensed by SonicWALL).

It is running WSUS 3.0 SP1.

July patches have not yet been installed.

It appears to have clared itself up, as we haven’t had the issue crop back up in several weeks now.

• #   Craig Watkins on 07.28.08 at 4:53 pm

We have 5 sites where we are seeing this issue.
    The common factor to all sites is they are running SBS 2003 R2 with WSUS 2 SP1.
    It is definitely being caused by WSUS. If we stop the Update Services service then the monitoring reports get generated successfully. When viewing Monitoring and Reporting in Server Management the busy process is the WSUS SQL instance. And like Jeff posted the WSUSAdmin Updates page times out.
    This isn’t affecting our SBS 2003 R2 sites who have been upgraded to WSUS 3.
    The hardware ranges from HP ML110 G4, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, 7200RPM SATA HD, 2GB RAM to HP ML350 G5, Xeon 2.0Ghz, 3GB RAM, 15K RPM SCSI.
    All sites run Trend Micro CSM or WFBS ranging from 3.5 to 5.0. However we have ruled out antivirus as the cause.
    None of the sites have the SQL patches installed.

• #   Chris Mckinney on 07.28.08 at 11:05 pm

I have two sites doing this. Both are running on Poweredge 1900′s with 2 gigs of RAM on SBS 2003 R2 STD fully patched. I spent a little time on it this evening, and found both servers had highly fragmented hard drives. I also noticed that the ‘Update Services auto approval task’ in Task Manager was generating 0×80131904 errors. Backups were getting ready to start, so I didn’t have time to research any further. Are you guys and gals seeing the 0×8013904′s in Task Manager?

• #   Bruno Bracquiné on 07.29.08 at 6:34 am

Same here: 19 monitored boxes, 4 having problems with sbsmonitoring. Could be a coincidence, but these are all running R2 standard with wsus enabled. Not 100% sure this is related, but Wsus gets to be slightly annoying, wouldn’t you agree?

• #   Ray Bell on 07.29.08 at 4:07 pm

I am having the same problem with 3 sites that are running R2 standard with wsus enabled. With one of the sites i get a report about once a week but with the others i didn’t get a report since 15th July.

• #   Fred Gregory on 07.30.08 at 6:58 am

I have 4 SBS 2003 R2 STD sites that exhibit the problem. It occured Very occasionally before the SQL patches. Now with 2 of the sites it will happen about once a week. (one of them this morning). The other 2 rarely produce a useable report. Sometimes I can view it from the Server Management console, but it takes about 10 min to produce. The 2 most affected (a) PE1430, Xeon 3.0 GHz, 1GB ram, Symantec AV 10.2, WSUS 3sp1 (b) PE440 P4 D3.0 2GB ram, Trend CSM 3.6, WSUS 2 sp1. I have 1 SBS 2003 SP1 STD site without WSUS that has never had the problem.

• #   Steven Parkinson on 07.31.08 at 4:33 pm

@Chris Mckinney

Chris, I think you may be on to something here..

I see that same error (0×80131904) on both problematic servers in the scheduled tasks fro the auto approval task. I poked around in WSUS and went thru all the settings to verify (comparing to a known working server), there was nothing incorrect but I clicked ok on all dialogs as I went thru the settings. then the next morning I got the monitoring report! I will see how long this lasts as I have not been able to get a report from this server in 3 weeks solid until now. The reports section on the server also works correctly. I will look art my other server tonight and see if the same “fixes” it.

The only hits I see on this error code all seem to relate to SQL..

I am still getting Event ID 10032 – “The server is failing to download some updates.” in the application log as well as this error Eevent ID 364 regarding the IMF filter download, yet wsus seems to be working.

Content file download failed. Reason: The requested URL does not exist on the server.
    Source File: /msdownload/update/software/uprl/2008/07/imf-kb907747-2008.07.10-x86_d85479ccb063200c633ae7e62eb56db30e02a5e2.exe Destination File: d:\WSUS\WsusContent\E2\D85479CCB063200C633AE7E62EB56DB30E02A5E2.exe.

• #   Steven Parkinson on 08.01.08 at 11:44 am

Well, as I suspected the report only worked one time from my previous post and is now back to not working.

I have also built up a new sbs 2003 R2 in Hyper-V using the R2 DVD media and have patched to completion and it also now exhibts the non-working monitoring issue, fun, fun, fun.

• #   Bill Shultz on 08.01.08 at 12:58 pm

I have four servers affected. All are Dell PowerEdge 1800 servers with 2 Xeon hyperthreaded processors. Three servers have 2 GB memory and one has 4 GB memory. All four have SATA RAID 5 data arrays.

All four servers run AVG Antivirus. I have not installed the SQL patches on any servers yet. Note that I have an HP server running AVG Antivirus and it is fine. I also have other non-Dell servers running other antivirus products that are running fine. The unaffected servers are all single CPU machines.

All four servers were affected on July 14 (Bastille Day). I contacted the Partner SBSC Newgroup for assistance and they just told me the Monitoring database was corrupted and I should uninstall then reinstall Monitoring. I did as they suggested on my server and the output order of the monitoring results came out differently than unaffected servers. I’m still trying to sort that one out.

Hope this helps.

Bill Shultz
    Acapella Technologies

• #   Joshua B on 08.01.08 at 4:14 pm

I have had that message on an SBS 2003 SP1 machine a year or 2 ago. I cannot remember exactly what I did to fix it, but it was 1 specific setting somewhere. I remember being amazed that it would cause that type of error. Pretty sure it has something to do with the Health Monitor software and trying to include specific information in the report…

If I remember I will post back.

• #   NumloQ on 08.03.08 at 4:51 am

Just deinstall and reinstall WSUS 3.0 SP1 was my resolution to this problem on a SBS 2003R2 box. Only 1 out of 10 SBS 2K3 servers got this problem we have.

• #   NumloQ on 08.03.08 at 4:53 am

Reinstall WSUS 3.0 SP1

• #   NumloQ on 08.03.08 at 4:22 pm

Keep in mind not to configure WSUS from within WSUS just use SBS Server Configuration console. I replaced my database (did not test without this)

• #   Tim - Granite Computer Solutions Ltd on 08.04.08 at 6:02 am

We have the same issues, but only happening on 1 in 10 of the sbs servers we look after and is probably WSUS 3.0.
    Before reading the latest posts and performing them, we removed and reinstalled the sbs monitoring feature using add/remove – Windows SBS 2003 setup wizard. This seams to have solved the problem but only 2 hours have passed since, so fingers crossed!
    I have posted below the procedure we performed if it helps anyone:
    stop the sbsmonitoring service.

run sbs setup in maintenance mode, set monitoring to remove.
    complete wizard,

enter regedit – hklm\software\microsoft\microsoft sql server\
    rename SBSMONITORING key to _SBSMONITORING (or something different)

re-run sbs setup in maintenance mode and set monitoring to install.

we did receive an error but this was because we forgot to stop monitoring service but once we stopped that, we just received an error about reinstalling msde sp4. we just ok’d that and setup completed. – may be something else for the fix list!

after clicking finish, server wanted to reboot – (no need as you can do the following) or reboot if you prefer.

open taskmgr, end process – “SETUP” should be about 42,000k mem usage.

change the sbsmonitoring service to automatic, then start it.

rerun sbs monitoring setup via console, choose reinstall.

force a collect data by running “Collect Server Performance Data” in scheduled tasks, wait for the task to stop, then run the report by running “Small Business Server – Server Status Report – Server Performance Report”. Again, wait for that to finish.

return to sbs console, refresh and as long as the above task has finished it should work and not display the “page cannot be displayed” error.

hope this helps and doesn’t make matters worse for you all!
    il keep you posted, have a few client servers to apply that to now!
    wish my luck!

• #   Graeme Smith on 08.05.08 at 7:55 am

30% of our managed SBS’s are doing this. (Pool of 24 from my office) WUS 3.0 is definitely implicated. Some servers have WUS “stutter” as the service stops and starts again. Forcing the service stopped doesn’t get the monitoring back.

This is a PIA. :-)

• #   Les Connor on 08.05.08 at 8:42 am

Run the database cleanup wizard in WSUS v3. If you have WSUS v2, you’ll need to enter at the command line, as there’s no wizard.

Note: I haven’t used the v2 cleanup, so I don’t know if/how it works, but in all cases the v3 database cleanup has resolved the problem.

• #   Joseph on 08.12.08 at 4:40 pm

I look after around 5 or 6 of these servers and this issue is permanent on about 3. It is really pissing me off.

This is the error I’m getting on Server 1:

Server Status Report:
    URL: http://localhost/monitoring/perf.aspx?reportMode=0
    Error Message: This is an unexpected token. The expected token is ‘NAME’. Line 1, position 2.
    Stack Trace: at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CallStaticMethod(Type type, String methodName, Object[] args)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Subscription.GetSynchronizationHistory(DateTime fromDate, DateTime toDate)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Subscription.GetLastSynchronizationInfo()
    at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetSyncStatus()
    at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.IsSyncScheduled(DataProvider dp)
    at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetStatusItems()
    at usage.frmPerf.PopulateStatusItems()
    at usage.frmPerf.renderReportWorker()
    at usage.frmPerf.renderReport()

I have uininstalled WSUS 3.0 SP1 and reinstalled and added 127.0.0.1 to the default website. I can’t figure out what the problem iis. Is someone able to help me out?

• #   bradley on 08.12.08 at 7:34 pm

Joseph can you ping me directly please at susan-at-msmvps.com?

• #   Bill Dunn on 08.17.08 at 7:49 am

HP ML110G2, 3.0 gig, 2 gig ram, SBS2K3 R2 with WSUS 2. Reporting became intermittent about 2 weeks ago, and has totally failed about 3 days ago. KB948110 attempted but failed to install. WSUS works fine as does Sharepoint internal web site.

• #   Chris on 08.22.08 at 4:12 am

Have recently taken on a site experiencing this problem – no reports and none available on server – permanent.
    Recent Dell box; SBS2003 Std with SP1; WSUS2; AVG 7.5 server, email server and clients; Spampal.

Currently checking out this sysem as I say only taken on this week, WSUS had been set to manual and no updates to server or clients for some time.

• #   1nd_dot_nl on 08.31.08 at 1:31 am

I run one SBS2003R2 server on a Dell box w 2 gb of RAM, no A/V and have “the page could not be displayed” both in console and morning mails. Trouble started soon but not directly after installing WSUS3. I had WSUS3 clean its database but still no monitoring.

• #   bradley on 08.31.08 at 1:40 am

Run the clean up report task one at a time. When they haven’t cleaned out is when they are not reporting.

It may appear to have run, but it really didn’t complete like it should.

Try it again, but this time only one clean up task at a time.

• #   MoSBS on 09.08.08 at 2:41 pm

Dell PE2900 (1.6G) 2.00GB RAM; SBS 2003 SP1, NAV 10.1.

I tried the Driver clean up tool, with no luck, still need a fix.

NJ