Small Business Susan

So what happened to AntiVirus?

The other day on a standalone NOD32 3 install on shut down I got a blue screen of death.  Using the handy dandy Crash Analysis wizard (from the MDOP suite), it said that the crash was due to NOD32.

Nice!  So the very thing that I use for protection nails me.  I’m not yet ready from a risk analysis standpoint to pull of a/v from that particular machine, but it’s getting to the point that I’m not “sold” on any one vendor these days like I used to be.  And lately all of the new products get increasingly “weighty” on an OS.

We consider Norton evil, Trend not as good as it used to be, NOD32′s version 3 certainly not as good as version 2.7, I mean who wants to upgrade these days when the newer version of something doesn’t feel as solid as the old stuff?

But Antivirus is not the solid software it once was.  Plan accordingly.

7 comments ↓

• #   Chris Knight on 07.28.08 at 8:31 pm

Been a while since I’ve had a problem with Sophos. Although it does suffer the code and performance bloat common with all modern software.

I like NOD32′s lightweight approach. But working is better than lightweight and not working.

The only thing worse than Norton is CA.

• #   Larry Seltzer on 07.28.08 at 8:45 pm

And they’ve all moved to a subscription model so you pretty much have to upgrade, at least before long.

• #   HandyAndy on 07.29.08 at 9:28 am

Norton may be evil, but Symantec’s corporate/enterprise line is less problematic these days then the rest seem to be. Other than being a space and resource hog, they just keep running anf doing their job

• #   John on 07.29.08 at 12:22 pm

.. we are using Grisoft AVG for server and it works without issues. So far we had not any issues and it works

• #   NickWhittome on 07.29.08 at 12:35 pm

Susan,

NOD32 V3 does not have program update built in…. (it will soon apparently) make sure you have the current version.

3.0.669.0

That version, on Vista, is better than 2.7

Disable email protection.

• #   Amy B on 07.29.08 at 1:05 pm

We’re using Trend. But it’s getting bloated. Have moved some clients and self to AVG. Like this better. Honestly with file virus scanning moving to the edge and emal virus scanning moved off-site the liklihood of virus on the PC’s is greatly reduced. Instead we’re hitting viruses at the source: Email, Edge and Sharepoint.

Not that we don’t need anti-virus on the workstation. I just need it to be a lot lighter.

Note: Also noticed that Sunbelt put out a new anti-virus product. It’s combined with CounterSpy which is an amazingly wonderful malware protection product.

• #   MikeP on 08.22.08 at 2:20 pm

Not one to be on the cutting edge of change, We are just now moving from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003 R2 Premium addition. All installed without a hitch. I’m finding the hunt for security protection (never had it on 4.5 for 10 years and no problems) is more of an issue than installing/configuring the OS.