Can’t see your tax software help files on Win7?
How to fix an application that isn’t working after 05-026 – THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE SBS “DIVA”:
After rolling out a new workstation (Win7) our tax software wouldn’t show the help file.. I had forgotten that I’d disabled the group policy on the server for some reason on this.
Fortunately I remembered the easy fix and found it on the blog Figured it wouldn’t hurt to reblog this as you start to roll out Win7 machines
- Click on Start
- Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Find the subfolder of SOFTWARE
- Find the subfolder of Microsoft
- Find the subfolder of HTMLHelp
- File the subfolder of 1.x
- Now click on that 1.x folder and right mouse click
- Now click on ‘new’ and then on ‘key’ and add a new key
- Type in ItssRestrictions
- Hit enter
- Click on the subfolder of ItssRestrictions
- Right mouse click, click on ‘new’ and then on ‘dword’
- In the “New value“ box, type in MaxAllowedZone
- Hit Enter
- Click on that “MaxAllowedZone“ and right mouse click
- Click on “Modify“
- Change the value data from 0 to 1
- Click OK
- Close the Registry
Try CCH tax software again. Your help files should now work as expected.
When you get done the left side should look like this
The right side should look like
P.S. This KB article is actually referred to from a “caveat” link at the top of the Security bulletin that points to known issues. Always review the “Known issue” for the issues that have already been found and fixed.