Twitter / Joe Tierney: An IT professional recomme …:

Dear Joe:  Pushing buttons again I see?

A doctor who doesn’t LISTEN to his patient and instead just blindly prescribes a medication to his patient should be sued for malpractice.  So should an IT professional that doesn’t sit down with their client and ensure that the solution they are recommending FITS the clients needs.

Amy Babinchak of www.thirdtier.net and I were chatting about this earlier in preparation for a podcast with Kate of www.lookscloudy.com .   We’re no longer one size fits all of the SBS 2003 era, we have a lot of choices.

Show me a small firm and we all use “the cloud”.  Show me a small firm and we all have different needs.  Even SBS 2011 can be easily combined with Internet solutions.

But I”m starting to get real tired of the “premise” versus the “cloud” fights.  This is about building the right solution for the needs of the clients, the business requirements, the line of business apps (not all that are ‘all in the cloud’), the regulatory environment, and last… and CERTAINLY not least, the comfort level of the owners of the data themselves.

Bottom line we don’t just have greasy hamburgers on the menu anymore.  We have lots of menu selections to choose from.

14 Thoughts on “An IT professional recommending #SBS2011 to a small business is like a doctor recommending a greasy cheeseburger to a heart patient. #Fail

1. On one hand I’m glad I’m not the only one who is getting tired of these types of posts / blogs/ tweets / etc.

On the other hand, I just can’t be bothered by their stupidity anymore.

So I’m glad someone has the strength to but I just don’t ever want to hear about them again.

2. “But I’m starting to get real tired of the “premise” versus the “cloud” fights”

You won’t stop it. Trying to is a waste of time. Everyone in the industry will continue with the fights until far into the future or until they have converted as many companies to the cloud as they can and any future talk is throwing money down the drain. There is big money in it so it is to their advantage to do so. The only way you could stop it is to take the money out of it. And you can’t do that.

Think of business as a piston in an engine. Like in your Mini. You start the piston (business) on the upward stroke with some idea. Eventually the idea will generate as much power (revenue) as it can and then the piston will be at the top of it’s stroke. So now to generate more power (money) you have to force the piston back down. To do that you need a new idea. The new idea forces the piston back down and generates more power (revenue) and starts the cycle again.

The Cloud is the new idea forcing the piston back down. In order to get everyone on board with the new idea you have to use mind control. That’s what the fights and all of the hype is for.

3. Oh Susan,

You miss me, don’t you :)

-Vlad

4. Poison Ivy on December 17, 2010 at 8:28 am said:

Perhaps poor Joe needs a laxative

5. How’s Life?

Their are Mac Fanboys and now Cloud Fanboys :(

6. Joe Raby on December 17, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

I don’t see cloud computing as a benefit to the customer.

It’s for lazy IT people.

Either you’re lazy, and you don’t want to do the work and have someone else do it, and get paid for their work, or on the other hand, you’re lazy, and you want to set up your clients in a turnkey solution and walk away and aren’t smart enough to get recurring payments. In the first example, if you’re good enough, you can convince a business that they’re better off spending more for you to work less, or in the second example, you want to build a large client base for bragging rights alone, and don’t care to have a constant rapport with your clients. Google lends itself to the latter.

Tierney, and most of the Google Apps faithful I’ve met certainly fit the bill.

7. JoeTierney on December 17, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

Funny post. You didn’t even let me know though :-(

Richard – it’s “there”

You’re doing what’s best for your customer or your outdated business model?

This isn’t about on-premise or cloud. This is about small business. Small businesses that have been over paying for technology for long enough. The client/server model was adopted because it provided the widest range of technology services to the widest range of people at the lowest cost. This is no longer the case. The Internet and new multi-tenant architectures allow for business owners to consume an even wider range of services at less cost.

It’s not hype. It’s fundamental changes in how technology services are consumed and delivered. Yes, all business applications are available in the cloud.

I certainly don’t mind being criticized but it would have been nice if you had given me a chance to answer your catchy post.

8. bradley on December 17, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

You are responding.

I blog. You tweet. I don’t consider 140 characters communicating. :-)

We’re now meeting in the middle. I am the small business. I am the owner. It’s not less costly. This isn’t about my outdated business model, I’m not a var/vap here. I’m the technical decision maker of the office and I’m not ready to tell my partners to jump.

1. My line of business app has no cloud equivalent. I’d be renting server space/bandwidth, paying to rent servers and paying for a monthly bandwidth cost.

2. I have crappy DSL. Cheap crappy DSL. To get to a fat enough pipe to replicate the productivity I currently have, it would cost me much much more per month.

“Yes, all business applications are available in the cloud. ”

Show me:

Lacerte (tax preparation software)
    Quickbooks (not the online version, standalone (not shared) Quickbooks that we use to open our clients data.
    Time and billing software (that we use not one that we’d have to migrate to because as the person in charge of migration at the office, changing time and billing software HURTS productivity.)
    Sharing of documents, emails, data, securely, efficiently without ANY decrease in speed, etc. etc.

For existing businesses with existing business processes, you have to show me something better than what I already have.

Sorry but you aren’t ready for my needs yet. It’s getting there yes, but to say all business applications are in the cloud? Not yet, and not of a level of service that meets what I have.

Are some of my applications in the cloud? Absolutely. Online research for one. Large secure file transfers for another.

But all of my needs? Not there. Not yet.

9. Joe Raby on December 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

“Yes, all business applications are available in the cloud.”

Funny, but I don’t see anyone offering Autodesk software in the cloud yet.

I have two clients that are architects (one is in the building next to me). Both use Autodesk products – that is their “LOB” app.

One has over 2TB of data, most of which is render jobs from AutoCAD and SketchUp. Have you ever seen the cost of having 2TB of online storage and/or backup space, not to mention the cost of bandwidth needed to stream multi-hundred megabyte files at local disk speeds???

It doesn’t cost less than their brand new server with multiple levels of redundancy, let me tell you! In fact, when I looked at cloud offerings, the cost that they spent on the entire setup including 3 years of maintenance would equate to only about 3 months in cloud services that meet their needs. Cloud backup isn’t even economical for them. They still do it the old fashioned way: one drive on-site, one in a fire-proof safe, and one off-site (remember what I said about cloud IT being for lazy people).

Let’s look at it from a performance-to-cost standpoint:

Cable Internet here is the best Internet around for the money, bar none. Anything faster, and the price skyrockets. 30Mbps downstream is $124.95/mth on a 1yr contract, or $1500 for the year. I can buy a sh@tload of hard drives for that and have money to spare, and they sure as hell ought to last longer than a year. Not only that, but they’ll be running at 100x the speed. Oh, sure I could get some kind of dedicated fiber line up to about 100Mbps in the area, but that’s still not even close to the speed that is required, and I’d have to sacrifice my first borne to afford it.

How is that “more services for less money”?

Who do you get your 100Mbps service from for less than the cost of a server every year?

10. “Are some of my applications in the cloud? Absolutely. Online research for one. Large secure file transfers for another”

Which online service do you use for your secure file transfers ?

11. Here is a good example of a company jumping on the Cloud bandwagon. They don’t seem to have put much thought into it but rather it seems they just want to have something Cloudy to sell so that they are not left out of the revenue stream. All they seem to be selling is storing your data on some server somewhere.

“We are an IT solutions provider focused on end to end Enterprise Infrastructure Solutions. We partner with our clients to identify the business and technology choices that will drive complexity out of their infrastructure and provide the greatest return on investments for their organization. We are currently looking for a motivated, system admistrator to help drive sales for our growing Cloud Services division.
    The System Administrator will serve as the primary resource to demonstrate the product to interested prospects. This person should be able to clearly communicate the advantages of our service over alternative backup and recovery methods. In addition, this person should have knowledge of servers, systems, and network. You should have experience, or be eager to learn how to architect, design, deliver, and train customers on the use of this solution. You will work independently to help our customers and troubleshoot issues. The environment is fast-paced, deadline driven, while supporting multiple, concurrent projects. The rewards include working in a HOT industry that is only poised to grow. The position reports to the technical manager of Cloud services.
    Job Responsibilities:

1. Demonstrate our solution via webex and face to face presentations to interested prospects.
    2. Design and deploy implementations after the sale has been closed.
    3. Upgrades, installs and troubleshooting for existing customer base.
    4. Develop strong relationships with prospective clients and existing customers.
    5. Working with sales team to plan, set and achieve goals each week and month. “

12. Joe Raby on December 19, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

For a company specializing in cloud services, advertising for a sales position looks bad, because every fly-by-night, out-of-college blogger and their friend wants to get into cloud IT services for a quick buck (read my rant on cloud services being for lazy IT’s). I’ve seen these companies come (and more importantly, go) many times before. They shouldn’t have a problem making sales in a market where the new stuff is hip and trendy and BDM’s will buy any snake oil. Keeping customers, on the other hand….that’s a different story.

13. Still no reply from our “friend” Joe the “IT Pro”…..

Post Navigation