If you are seeing a Fatal error C0000034

If you got offered up via WSUS Windows 7 sp1 and if you are seeing a Fatal error C0000034 applying update operation 282 of 116278 I need your help.

For those impacted on this thread can you find these logfiles on your system and send them via skydrive to e_bitzie-at-hotmail.com?

1. Registry hives. COMPONENTS, and SYSTEM

a. C:\Windows\System32\Config\

2. CBS log directory

a. C:\Windows\Logs\CBS

3. Sessions.xml

a. C:\Windows\Servicing

4. Poqexec.log

a. C:\Windows\WinSXS

5. Pending.xml

a. C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

6. “Dir /s /b” Directory listing of c:\windows\winsxs

7.  The windowsupdate.log file at c:\windows

Please this is a high priority at Microsoft and they need to see these log files. And ping me at susan-at-msmvps.com

19 Thoughts on “If you are seeing a Fatal error C0000034

1. What update ?

2. Duh, never mind. That’s what happens when you read and watch TV at the same time.

3. bradley on March 10, 2011 at 9:05 pm said:

I just edited the post to say “Win7 sp1″ :-)

4. bradley on March 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm said:

I don’t need a solution. I need the log files so that Microsoft can understand what’s going on and fix it long term.
    Please. I need the log files.

5. It’s funny that this problem was on a low boil until it hit WSUS, isn’t it?

Which solution of the several posted around do you recommend?

6. bradley on March 11, 2011 at 1:35 am said:

A backup so you can roll back until folks figure out what’s going on would be my best suggestion.

7. Still want more log files? Experienced this yesterday with a client.

8. maconulaff on March 11, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

The solution link from COOL does work.

I did send info requested because fixing the 20 or so machines impacted before I stopped the process on my network took about an hour and a half with two of us hopping cubical to cubical to fix it.

9. Susan, I ran into this problem on a couple Win 7 pro x64 systems yesterday and fixed them using the solution posted by “thiswoot” in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/1c9a7151-b48c-4a98-aae7-a4b82682ea8e. Do you still want the log files, even though it’s been fixed by editing the pending.xml file?

10. Yes still would like to see log files.

11. Stephen Hartley on March 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm said:

Microsoft have offered a KB Article ID: 975484 dated March 11 which seems to have a better fix for the issue. The System restore did not work for me. The manual registry fix did not work either. I booted from a UBCD and edited the registry. One system now working (1 more to go).
    DEo you still want logs

12. bradley on March 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm said:

Still want logs if you have ‘em.

13. bradley on March 21, 2011 at 12:46 am said:

Editing the pending.xml means your system is in a “torn” state and is 1/2 on sp1 and 1/2 on RTM.

It may have worked, it’s not the greatest for the status of the machine now.

14. dofzin on March 26, 2011 at 1:15 am said:

I have 4 systems with identical hardware and, generally speaking, identical software installations. I hit this error on 1 of the 4, I will grab logs and upload and ping you via email when uploaded.

15. dofzin on March 26, 2011 at 2:28 am said:

Applied the script in KB975484 and the issue was resolved. Before doing so I did capture the requested logs, uploaded, and ping you via email. Hope it helps someone in Redmond…this error seems to be growing and is not limited to WSUS.

16. yes I have the same issue and here is where I posted my blog with pics on the issue but no resolution other than redo.

17. It looks like there may now be a KB article about this.

Do you still need data collected? If not, please update this post to reflect that. I’ve grabbed the data off the problem machine using the recovery console and can upload it if needed. Contact me by email at:

Post Navigation