The good news, the bad news.

First the good news:

We didn’t get the OTHER .net 4 update I thought we’d get today.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New non-security Content:

• Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB2468871)

Locale: All
    Deployment: Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Recommended/Automatic Updates, WSUS, and Catalog
    Classification: Updates, Non-Security
    Target platforms: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP
    Approximate file sizes:
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows 7/Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista/Windows Server 2003/Windows XP x86 update: ~ 19668KB
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems update: ~ 28772KB
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 IA-64/Windows Server 2008 IA-64/Windows Server 2003 IA-64 update: ~ 30761KB
    Description:
    Install this update to resolve issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

That did not get released today.

I guess they heard me huffing and puffing from Fresno and didn’t release it.

The bad news is Office 2010 sp1 and SharePoint 2010 sp1 did.  Two service packs I honestly was not expecting on MU, and certainly was not expecting on WSUS.

I do not understand why there is this need to not inform patchers in advance of when things will be on WSUS.  I don’t get it.

7 Thoughts on “The good news, the bad news.

1. Gary D on June 29, 2011 at 1:36 am said:

I didn’t see the exchange 2010SP1 RU either…

2. bradley on June 29, 2011 at 1:43 am said:

Not on MU until July per the Ehlo blog.

3. Gary D on June 29, 2011 at 1:52 am said:

in SBS console… right click the SP1 for sharepoint. Select “Deploy the update”. Get a pop up saying “Thank you for beta testing this update.” ;)

4. bradley on June 29, 2011 at 2:01 am said:

I want the tshirt first.

5. Damian on June 29, 2011 at 4:51 am said:

Why are you surprised that the updates appeared in WSUS? Don’t you enable the email notification from WSUS to tell you what is new?

It’s not as if you set everything to auto approve is it?………

Am I missing something I need to be aware of?

6. SeanPT on June 29, 2011 at 6:49 am said:

Can I put my conspiracy theory hat on? Too late to say no!

If we start having more and more patching issues perhaps we will say “Sod it! To the cloud!” and that is what “they” really want us to do.

7. bradley on June 29, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

To Damian – what’s wrong with doing like Exchange does it?
    It’s completed, it goes on the download site, after a time it gets pushed to WSUS and MU as an offering.

The office people will argue that it only gets offered up there and only pushed 90 days later. I say announce it first, then put it up there. I’d like consistent ways that updates get placed up there.

Post Navigation