Remember: you must run psconfig after SharePoint sp1 is installed:

If you have SBS 2011 and you or your client installed SharePoint sp1

Backups will fail

Backup unsuccessful.  A volume shadow copy service operation failed.  Unknown error (0x800423f0)

see Backup has started to fail and will not work SBS 2011:

RESOLUTION:  Run the psconfig command

You need to fix SharePoint before your backup will work.

1. Open an Administrative command prompt.
2. Change directory to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN
3. Run PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures

14 Thoughts on “Remember: you must run psconfig after SharePoint sp1 is installed:

1. Perfect timing. I was just setting up a new server and noticed DPM started to have problems backing it up.

Just running the command now :)))

2. Thanks, you just saved me another couple of gray hairs …

3. Robert on July 1, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

Um, why wasn’t this just part of the sp1 update process?

4. bradley on July 1, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

Because no SharePoint 2010 patch ever does psconfig automatically anymore.

It’s expected that we do it.

5. Kelvin Auyeung on July 1, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

Just applied the SharePoint SP1 yesterday and started scratching my hair off this morning on the SBS backup failure. Thank you!

6. SeanPT on July 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm said:

When there was that article a few weeks ago about having to do the psconfig manually I went ahead and made a batch file and put it on the desktop of all my SBS2011 boxes.

7. Susan, thank you so much. I don’t know what I would do without your SBS blogs….

8. Schwemmi on July 7, 2011 at 3:21 am said:

Well done, Problem is solved.

9. JoAnn on July 15, 2011 at 9:32 am said:

Thank you Thank you. We just started SBS2011, and our backups stopped like you stated. Please note that it takes about 10 minutes for the fix to take after you run it – the first backup I tried to run right away failed with the same message, but then it worked great.

10. Maddin on July 26, 2011 at 2:58 am said:

10 minutes !!! u saved my weekend

11. Maddin on July 26, 2011 at 2:59 am said:

10 minutes !! reading your post with the time to wait saved my weekend

12. Kevin J. Smith on August 16, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

You also have to run it after installing any sql server SPs, found that out the hard way.

13. bradley on August 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

I’ve never seen or heard this, can you ping me directly at susan-at-msmvps.com so I can get some log files?

14. And remember to restart the IIS and WWW Publishing service after running this, or else your ESM / Powershell doesn’t work any more for Exchange :-D

Post Navigation