KB2686509 repeatedly fails with Error code 0x8007F0F4 – FIXED

Figured out my patch failure.

I’ve Hit F12 For the Last Time – Jesper’s Blog:

============

Bingo that was it.  I had forgotten that I had remapped the scroll key on this pc.

From a command prompt copy the following:

reg delete “hklm\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout” /v “Scancode Map” /f

Hit enter.

I did that, rebooted the pc, reinstalled the patch and it took this time and did not fail.

Update:  see also http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2012/05/14/i-wrote-a-vb-script-to-fix-two-problems-while-running-microsoft-security-update-kb2686509.aspx

9 Thoughts on “KB2686509 repeatedly fails with Error code 0x8007F0F4 – FIXED

1. tekkos on May 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm said:

this fix worked for me.

thanks very much! you’re a talented guy.

2. bradley on May 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm said:

I’m a girl :-)

3. Gary on May 11, 2012 at 5:17 am said:

Thanks you, Susan. Simply brilliant.

4. Mike on May 14, 2012 at 8:47 am said:

Thanks for the quick easy fix for this periodic windows problem.

Windows help centres are a wild goose chase for the average user through mostly irrelevant or incomprehensible data.

5. I wrote a VB Script to fix two problems while running microsoft security update KB2686509

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\Scancode Map
    and
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts

for those who are no registry freaks.

Here you can download my little hotfix as ZIP-file.

What does it do? Nothing magic!

1. Makes a registry backup

2. delete Scancode Map if exists

3. checks every keyentry in Keyboard Layouts against existing file in %SystemRoot%\System32

Hope I help someone with this script.

Regards

Christian from Germany

6. Gunnar Andre on May 15, 2012 at 3:17 am said:

Hi
    Thanx
    But I didnt reboot between deleting the scancode registry and reinstall the update. After the update you can insert the scancode regisrty if you had made a backup and reboot.

7. going linux on May 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

I’ll ignore this junk KB patch and any others that wont load.

Any patch that forces the end user to hack into their registry manually to fix a problem created and compounded over years by MS; when the patch is worse than any possible problem its void and unacceptable, DOA upon posting.

My options:

1) Totall ignore this update (use the hide it button), that doesn’t stop the constant updat balloon, will turn auto-update off.

2) Back up data and then do a harddrive total clean followed by a claen install of Linux

3) Next new computer will either be preloaded Linux or delete windows and install it a sole OS.

8. paul on May 29, 2012 at 7:15 am said:

brilliant – thank you

9. Griffin on June 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm said:

Christian,
    thanks a lot. It appears to have worked! I have been looking for a solution for a long time, and you did it!
    Griffin