One needs a reboot, one doesn’t.

One update, KB2718704, will not need a reboot on Win7, Vista, Server 2008 or 2008 R2.  On XP and server 2003 it will.

The WSUS update KB2720211 will need a reboot.

KB2718704 is revoking a certificate used in the Flame malware spoofing, KB2720211 is hardening Microsoft update/Windows update and WSUS so that it cannot be used/tricked into a deployer of malware.

As I said in New Orleans ITPro2012 conference, this appears to not have been done by the bad guys, but by the good.

I have yet to see on standalone machines get their windows update agent version updates.  I’ll let you know when I see that happening.

13 Thoughts on “One needs a reboot, one doesn’t.

1. Pete P on June 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

All 30+ of my SBS servers required a restart. Only one SBS2011 failed and now WSUS is broken. Tried the standalone KB2720211 and it fails too. The logs show Error code 1603. Not much out there how to fix.

2. bradley on June 10, 2012 at 11:39 pm said:

Pete hit me on email. 1603 is an installer error.

3. MarS on June 11, 2012 at 8:00 am said:

I have the same problem on out Windows Server 2003 Standard with WSUS 3.0 SP2. Did you find some solution?

4. MarS on June 11, 2012 at 8:03 am said:

I have the same problem on our Windows Server 2003 Standard with WSUS 3.0 SP2. Did you find some solution?

5. “good. ”

Remember the quotes.

KB2718704 required a reboot on all the servers I manage, and on no W7 clients.

6. Pete P on June 11, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

MarS, I fixed WSUS on the one SBS2011 server where KB2720211 fails. I emailed Susan the procedure.

7. Gabe on June 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm said:

Having the same problems as Pete P (error code 1603 according to MySetup.log). WSUS fails and the Update Service will not stay “Started”. Can’t load WSUS either.

bradley, will you post solution?

8. Gabe on June 13, 2012 at 7:43 am said:

Thank you. I will try that tonight and post back on that thread with my results.

I must admit though, I didn’t realize just how much memory WSUS uses. Now that it’s crashed and forced off, my SBS box has a lot of available memory. I’m seriously considering unisntalling it for the freed up memory but I want to fix it first.

9. Any idea why 2718704 isn’t classified as a Security Update? GFI MAX (LANGuard) isn’t installing it because Microsoft says it’s just an Update.

10. bradley on June 13, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

Don’t uninstall WSUS. It will mangle the IIS. You can throttle the SQL used by WSUS instead. Post out in the http://www.sbsforum.info and we can discuss this more easily than in a blog.

11. Gabe on June 25, 2012 at 9:10 am said:

Susan,

Given that I’ve tried everything to get WSUS back online over the last two weeks (after installling KB2720211) and it’s still broken and since I don’t need it anyway (we’re a small office), could you elaborate on “it will mangle the IIS”. Uninstalling WSUS seems like the path of least resistance at this point in the game.

12. bradley on June 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

WSUS puts in place a dll to compress files in IIS. If you remove it, this DLL is removed.

Call 1-800-Microsoft. State you have an issue with KB2720211 and request a support incident.

Post Navigation