To whom it may concern in regards to recent changes of the technet subscription

Subject:     To whom it may concern in regards to recent changes of the technet subscription
Date:     Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:52:43 -0700
From:     Susan Bradley <sbradcpa@pacbell.net>
To:     tsubserv@microsoft.com, >

Effective 7/16/2012 you removed Windows 7 Ultimate from the products
available with a technet plus subscription indicating that this is a
product removed because it’s “not intended for use in an IT professional
managed business environment. For instance: Windows XP Home Edition.”

I note that per
Windows 7 ultimate is no longer listed.

I strongly object to the removal of Windows 7 Ultimate from the technet
subscription.  In my practice and in my SMB world, Windows 7 ultimate,
and not Windows 7 enterprise is the sku that I upgrade to when I need
bitlocker and thus it is indeed part of the managed IT environment in my
firm and in the firms that I see.

When I beta test, Windows 7 ultimate IS the sku I use to test with for
purposes of beta testing with Microsoft’s server products and for patch
management deployment testing.  The removal of this license hampers my
ability to test Microsoft products, to support the small business
community and to better support your products.

I respectfully ask you reconsider this decision and put back in Windows
7 ultimate as an available sku for the use of testing in my
environment.  You are hampering my ability to support Microsoft’s products.

Thank you for your reconsideration to this decision.

Susan Bradley
Moderator www.patchmanagement.org
Writer at www.windowssecrets.com
Blogger at http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/bradley
SBS MVP

6 Thoughts on “To whom it may concern in regards to recent changes of the technet subscription

1. If you need Windows 7 Ultimate, Susan, you can (and should) upgrade to TechNet Professional. TechNet Professional still has Ultimate, and is the appropriate level of TechNet for someone like you.

2. bradley on July 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm said:

No it doesn’t. Effective 7/16 Ultimate is now retired. What you are seeing is your Win7 ultimate because you are a grandfathered user. Go look at your product keys. Note how it now says “# of 0″ available.

3. Joe Raby on July 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

Are you a member of Cloud Essentials? Did you activate your benefits? What about your Intune subscription? Don’t you get Windows 7 Enterprise with that?

4. bradley on July 25, 2012 at 11:43 pm said:

Cloud essentials folks do not get Win7 Enterprise SA rights. Besides.. Win7 Ultimate is also what my clients get/use/buy. We don’t buy Enterprise.

5. MikeMc on July 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm said:

Saw this coming. I finished downloading files a month ago, product keys two months before that. I expect technet subscription downloads and keys to be closed within 1 to 2 years.

6. Jeremy on August 9, 2012 at 6:19 am said:

I just signed up to Technet to make a comprehensive review from a performace standpoint in regards to Windows 7 Editions. In my role at work, I am expected to also support Home Basic right through to Enterprise…

I had always figured Ultimate would be more sluggish than Home Basic due to the extra services and features.

I was dismayed to find that as of 3 weeks ago, I cannot.

My only choice is to obtain the software through other methods…

This is outrageous!