Small Business Susan

The first stage of grief

Welcome to the first stages of grief in the death of SBS.  But here’s the thing, it’s not really dead, just badly mangled in a mess of a public relations.  There are still small busnesses that need small business sized solutions.  There are still small business consultants.  There just isn’t as obvious of solutions in your tool bag.

“Can you talk to Microsoft to bring back SBS?”  Honestly no.  Microsoft is trying to remain relevant in a world where more and more tablets are being sold and less and less desktops are.  So building another copy of SBS isn’t in their product roadmap.  Besides, come on be honest with yourself, you don’t want another SBS, you want on premise file and print and on premise email.  You don’t want SharePoint.  You don’t want the patching headaches.

“What are they thinking? My clients don’t want the cloud”.  I’ll bet they want parts of the cloud, but not everything in the cloud.  They want mail hygiene.  They want large file transfers.  They may not even mind their email in the cloud.  They won’t put file and printer sharing there.

“What were they thinking about this Win8 stuff?  I mean this is worse than office’s ribbon bar?  Promise me this holday season you’ll try to find a “Popup” store whereby Windows RT devices are being sold.  You’ll see the power of touch in those devices.  It’s not a desktop operating system.  For those folks you probably want to look at somethng like start8 menu.

But bottom line, this is time to invest in yourself.  Something that you’ll been relying too on Microsoft to hand feed us.  Now it’s in our ball court,

Consider me your grief counselor.  We’re going to look at solutions going forward.

8 comments ↓

• #   Joe Raby on 11.18.12 at 7:21 am

One thing about email is that if you’re using Exchange Server on-prem, but you’re just using POP connector, I can’t say I really see any security/privacy disadvantage in just using hosted Exchange.

If you’re talking about direct mail delivery to an on-prem, that’s different though.

• #   Bill V on 11.18.12 at 9:04 am

Susan, I’m moving past the grief and working at determing the best path forward. Honestly, it seems that for small busineses the move to some form of a hosted environment is the likely path. Years ago the business I work for was using POP on an old Unix box for email. I arrived and moved them immediately to SBS 2003. It’s odd, but I feel like I’ve come full circle and am looking at hosted again. I’m just a bit over 30 users with SBS 2003 so the Full Windows 2012 vs Essentials debate is staring me right in the face. What’s a small business to do? I’m not a cloud fan, but believe there is some advantage to sending email off site thereby easing some of my day to day activities so I can focus on more important business needs. The negative of course is the reliance on the email host to maintain service 99.99% of the time and of course to have an always on Internet connection. That’s the challenge for some from what I’ve been reading these days. Keep up the good word/work. Bill V

• #   Jim on 11.18.12 at 9:29 am

There are plenty of us out here feeling abandoned.

Looking for options myself I’m testing CentOS running Samba4 (which does Active Directory and Group Policies).

Not really where I want to go, but it might be an option.

• #   Peter P on 11.18.12 at 3:11 pm

I stopped the grieving too and moving on. I’m even going for the Silver Small Business Competency. I’ve expressed my grievances to Microsoft, even surprisingly getting a return call from a higher up in the server division. They don’t want to hear it anymore and their decisions are final.

I’ve decided to promote Windows Server 2012 Essentials with Office 365, particularly for startup companies on a small budget. On-premises Exchange with Essentials is cost prohibitive compared to SBS because of licensing and implementation. I’m still promoting SBS though depending the business environment and plan to do so until it’s no longer available December 2013.

• #   Rolf Niedhorn on 11.19.12 at 6:05 am

I think, we have to step forward and stop griefing.

We don´t need an SBS server for our clients, if we try to educate our clients in using new technology and if we search for alternatives very closely with or clients.

I will try to get the new competency next year.

What I want to see is that MS help us to adopt the cloud by working together with the government and the infrastructure providers to fill the DSL gap in some parts of the country.

I want to have a licensing alternative (a license suite for small businesses) by MS to build a SBS kind solution for my clients (I heard rumors, that they will ofer something like this next year).

Last but not least, I think that WS2012 Essentails is a good product from a technical perspective.

Rolf

• #   JoeTierney on 11.19.12 at 10:38 pm

Hi Susan,

You probably don’t remember me but you wrote a post about a Twitter comment I made a while back. The Tweet basically stated it was the duty of the IT professional to move away from SBS. I guess you could say we agreed to disagree.

I know much of your work has been Microsoft-centric. Microsoft dominated the client-server era of computing, no question about that.

Now that SBS is going, regardless of anyone’s opinion, I would encourage you to look at other vendors. Google has a wide range of services and partner programs. Salesforce.com does as well. Both these firms have app markets, the Google Apps Marketplace and AppExchange respectively, with a wide range of applications. Salesforce.com’s Force.com platform allows for a wide range of custom application development.

While the death of SBS might seem painful now, it opens up a huge opportunity for anyone willing to learn more about the next chapter of computing. The next several years will bring an explosion of knowledge workers as clipboards become tablets and a PC on every desk also becomes a PC in every pocket.

My favorite high level cloud computing books are The Big Switch and Behind the Cloud. There are a wide range of technical books specific to individual services.

Best wishes in the next chapter of your work.

• #   bradley on 11.19.12 at 11:01 pm

Well those of us that still crunch spreadsheets still need a keyboard and a screen. I talk to a lot of fellow small business owners and not everyone is in the dotcom/salesforce/google apps world. I use things through the cloud, I’m not putting my firm in the cloud.

There’s a big difference. The duty of the IT professional is to listen to the client and do their due diligence.

I’m not the partner selling, I’m the business owner waiting for the hype to die down.

• #   Jay on 11.22.12 at 2:46 am

>>Well those of us that still crunch spreadsheets still need a keyboard and a screen.<<

Yes, that tends to get forgotten with all the hype…

If Microsoft want to promote The Cloud as being the best solution, fine with me. On the other hand, removing all options and more or less forcing me to the cloud is not fine – and leads me to wonder why there needs to be an element of force if it is really that ‘great’ in the first place.

The reason why Microsoft, Adobe etc. are pushing customes into The Cloud has little to do with increasing business efficiency – it’s simply to do with making sure they have a reliable revenue stream.

Hence the urgency.