Small Business Susan

Microsoft shame on you

“MS UPDATE FAIL causes api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0.dll MISSING <http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/113a719f-b051-4ad2-902a-c61300efaf93>

Just spent the better part of 90 minutes dealing with tech support (not) and being told it would cost me 99.  to repair my computer since a system restore to early March did not work to fix a universal ole32 dll issue in windows 7.  According  to the tech, it is clearly (in her view) my computer at fault.  THANKS MICROSOFT>  I will keep your support in mind  during our next  purchase. “

Dear Microsoft:

When Internet Explorer 10 fails to install properly it will leave a system in a bad state.  So bad that short of reinstalling or doing a repair reinstall over the top there may be not much you can do.  To add insult to injury no one from Microsoft has come out with a clear statement regarding support.  So in the forums people are going through trying to get support and they hit the “Answer desk” chat whereby they get told they have to pay $99 to fix the problem.

Microsoft shame on you for not clearly stating your support policies for IE 10 install issues.

Shame on you for having a platform that when the install goes belly up there’s not many options other than to do a repair install.

Your customers deserve better than this for what should be your flagship browser product.

7 comments ↓

• #   mike on 04.14.13 at 7:44 pm

Sorry, but this is just one more example of Microsoft not really caring.

• #   Mark on 04.15.13 at 9:46 am

I have just been presented with an Acer Aspire one (Win7 x86 starter) With the same problem. The customer updated to IE10 via windows update and now little works with missing api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-I1-1-0.dll and api-ms-win-downlevel-ole32-I1-1-0.dll.

I can see there being a lot of unhappy customers out there when they get their bills for cleaning up this mess.

• #   Pete P on 04.15.13 at 10:42 am

Can you imagine this happening on a server? Yikes!

• #   Mark Berry on 04.15.13 at 1:28 pm

Hadn’t heard this but by default I don’t allow IE to update until the update has been out for a long time. When I saw IE10 appear in updates, I found and applied this blocker:

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10

• #   PA Bear - MS MVP on 04.16.13 at 10:12 am

When IE9 (and IE8 & IE7 IIRC) started being “pushed” via Automatic Updates, Microsoft offered home users in the US & CA “no-charge telephone support for [IE9] install and uninstall issues. You may also be eligible for telephone support if your issue causes your computer to crash or if IE9 does not let you browse all sites.” Residents of other regions were offered similar, no-charge support.

Are we ever going to see this support for IE10-in-Win7?

• #   Joe Raby on 04.17.13 at 12:23 pm

A word to the wise (repeat after me): NEVER EVER use registry cleaners!

When I read that the guy was complaining after he used CCleaner, I almost did a spit take all over my Surface.

• #   uhji on 04.18.13 at 3:42 pm

We have a situation where IE10 breaks adobe flash for some users of Windows 7. We’ve tried to uninstall flash and reinstall, purge the registry, go through file system and reset directories, reset IE to default…use flash uninstall tool…nothing works. The support for this is horrid. We rolled back to IE9. This is the first time we’ve ever seen failure with an IE upgrade, if you can believe it.

Windows 8 is a no-go. The tools we have work great on Windows 7, and many aren’t compatible with Windows 8. So very few users have been migrated. And the “Please test this iPad for business use” has begun in earnest.