How to get around the Office 365 "streaming" deployment of Office 2013
From James Hill on the Office 365 partner listserve… Office365Partners@yahoogroups.com
He faced an issue where he was trying to deploy Office 2013 and the ‘click to deploy’ streaming option was taking way too long and hogging up way too much bandwidth
He recommended the following steps:
1. Remove all versions of Office. If you have a broken Office 2013 use this fix it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501
2. Install Office 2013 Home & Business from the downloaded img after logging in to http://office.microsoft.com with the users Microsoft account (not their office 365 account. Their Microsoft account was required to obtain the free upgrade to Office 2013). Click on Install Office at the top right of the page. Then under Account Options select Install from a disc. Then select I want to a burn a disc. Then you can download the .img. This happens to be the place where you can actually see the product key as well. If you use streaming you don’t see the key. Call me old fashioned but I like to record the key in a safe place. Once the img is downloaded mount the img if you have windows 8 and run the install. Otherwise burn the image to disc or use 7-zip or something else to extract the image.
3. Open Outlook and enter creds for office 365 etc.
4. Download Lync Basic x86 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35451
5. Open it and enter the office 365 creds.
6. Don’t install Lync basic from the Office 365 portal!
Thanks James! And check out his excellent blog!