Small Business Susan

In search of the Win8 phone or device

I have yet to see a Windows 8 phone or tablet in the wild while i’m traveling.  Here at the airport there are iphones and androids, but no Windows 8′s.

How many have you spotted in your travels?

10 comments ↓

• #   John Bennett on 06.19.13 at 9:38 pm

Not many… especially if you don’t count the two Nokia Lumias owned by my wife and I. Almost universally iPhones and Androids — same in my circle of friends.

I *did* receive an email from a colleague a week or so ago that had the tag line “Sent from my Windows Phone”… so, there’s one.

• #   ZenOne on 06.19.13 at 9:52 pm

Don’t now about spotting it in the “Wild” but I own a Lumia 920. Love it!
    Will also be travelling this weekend so I will keep an eye out for more of the elusive Windows Phone 8…. :)

• #   Jerry on 06.19.13 at 11:26 pm

I’ve seen probably 20 Windows Phone (7-8) phones in the wild while traveling. Though I’ve never seen a single Surface Pro/RT in the wild.

• #   Mark D on 06.20.13 at 1:52 am

I just bought a Nokia Lumia 920, to replace my old iPhone. I’m very happy with it, it’s a great phone and I love the way it works. But I did have to shop around to get it, went into the local store and while they had it on display when you tried to actually buy it they said they couldn’t get any and were incredulous that I’d want one over one of those Android phones. Dumb, I rang the phone company direct, they supplied it, local store missed out on the business. But if I hadn’t already done the research and chosen this over an iPhone 5, I probably would go into the store and come out with something else.

• #   Konstantin Yovev on 06.20.13 at 2:10 am

Last month I was flying on a business trip. The person sitting next to me was the only one (except me) holding a WP device. And guess what – it was the same make and model :)

• #   Mark Welte on 06.20.13 at 9:33 am

Well if you count my wife and I we have three Windows 8 phones phones among us. I carry one for work and liked it enough I purchased one for myself. We also have a Surface Pro at work and it is a sweet device for troubleshooting the network.

• #   Chris on 06.20.13 at 11:21 am

I’ve seen a few in the wild, and my colleague bought a Surface Pro as soon as it came out – he’s using it for work now, and doesn’t want to miss it anymore.

That being said, it’s surprisingly difficult to get hold of a Windows 8 phone in Canada. Lumia 820? Forget it – the only one I could find came with “12 Months Warranty in Saudi Arabia”. Each carrier has one Lumia at best; Virgin / PC / WindMobile don’t carry any at all.

They are great phones, but won’t get wide spread if nobody can buy them.

• #   Rich Lusk on 06.20.13 at 12:21 pm

I don’t do a lot of traveling outside of my area so I haven’t seen too many plus I don’t pay attention to what other people have. I can say that my wife and I love our Lumia 810 phones. In fact we were just talking today about how much people with Android and iPhone are missing out and that if they truly experienced the Live Tiles and the integration features they would not go back to what they had. Windows Phone rocks!!!

• #   Phil Gillespie on 06.26.13 at 11:10 am

I’ve seen more Windows phones recently but then I’ve also seen the Galaxy S3/S4 being much more popular.

I own an HTC 8X and I must say it makes the iPhone look dated. Great integration with Office 365 and an increasing number of useful apps too.

MS really have got a great product in a very tight marketplace.

• #   JayMon on 07.05.13 at 6:53 pm

Never seen a Windows 7/8 phone outside the hands of a tech. As for Windows 8, I believe a couple people on the sites I work at have bought them, more out of needing a new computer, and not having a Win7 option, than wanting it.

I’ve installed Win8 on my mom’s PC. That counts, right?