(broken record here just making it clear) Unmanaged systems – those not behind WSUS/Intune/System center still have a May 13th deadline of getting 2919355 installed.
Spotted a post in the forum with some interesting debugging:
Windows 8.1 update fails to install – KB2919355 – Microsoft Community:
Success at last. I have been researching and working on this for over a week and have attempted every single “fix” or “repair” proposed here and via MS troubleshooting pages with absolutely no success.
sfc /scannow reported no errors. I used Dism which indicated the store was repairable however RestoreHealth always provided the following message:
The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired.
DISM failed. No operation was performed.
I reviewed the CBS.log file and found a report of missing files (mshtml.tlb, mshtml.dll and F12.dll) which I tracked down via the log file to update KB2909921. I downloaded the KB2909921.msu and used 7-Zip to extract the files contained in the msu to a folder on a USB drive. I then expanded the cabinet archive to the same folder. After locating the above files I restored them to the appropriate containers using the information found here:
and here: http://superuser.com/questions/718805/how-to-repair-corrupt-system-files-from-a-installation-disc
After making the repairs dism /restorehealth continued to indicate the restore operation failed with the same message, *HOWEVER now the CBS.log file reported everything appeared to be ok* other than a reference to a problem with meta data.
Operation: Detect and Repair
Operation result: 0x0
Last Successful Step: Entire operation completes.
Total Detected Corruption:0
CBS Manifest Corruption:0
CBS Metadata Corruption:0
CSI Manifest Corruption:0
CSI Metadata Corruption:0
*CSI Payload Corruption:**0*
Total Repaired Corruption:0
CBS Manifest Repaired:0
CSI Manifest Repaired:0
CSI Payload Repaired:0
CSI Store Metadata refreshed:True
Previously it was reporting “CSI Payload Corruption: 3″ which was apparently related to the missing files referred to above and which previously indicated was not repaired, presumably because the files could not be found.
I had previously been unable to install KB2939087 and KB2919355 and always received error 80073712 after trying every fix mentioned in the forum. I ran Windows Update Diagnostic again and received the same messages I had always received, but because the CBS log showed things were ok, I decided to try to download and install again using Desktop Windows Update.
I first attempted to install KB2939087 which installed, asked for a restart and was successful. I then attempted to install KB2919355 which likewise installed, asked for a restart and was successful.