To Windows Server Backup doesn’t start after you perform a BMR in Windows Server 2012: https://support2.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2961238 Consider the following scenario:
- You have a computer that’s running Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2.
- You’re using a UEFI system with two hard disks, and you have EFI System Partition on your system disk.
- You use Windows Server Backup to perform a complete backup.
- You then use the backup data to perform a bare metal recovery (BMR).
However, after the recovery operation is completed, the Windows Server Backup service cannot be started. To resolve this issue, Windows Backup must rebuild the catalog to reflect the latest disk configurations. To trigger this action, follow these steps:
- Open an administrative command prompt.
- Run the following command:
wbadmin delete catalog
- Restart the Windows Server Backup service, or restart the computer.
The Windows Server Backup service should now run normally. Someone in the past year has hit this and I remember them telling me about this issue.