Not the patching, not the dealing with customizing the menu system (more on that later) but printers.
Flat out I have had more issues with personal laserjet printers than anything else. Network based printers, my Ricohs have been relatively easy to set up. Two of them were picked up just fine, one – a slightly older one – I set it up as a tcp/ip printer and had the operating system pick up the generic Ricoh driver.
But on my workstation where I have a Lexmark printer, I have had to move it from a usb connection setup to a tcp/ip printer setup. When it was a usb printer, it would go to sleep. And once it went to sleep it would then not wake up to print… or if it did… it would error out and the only way I could get it to fully “wake up” and print properly was to unplug the usb cable and plug it back in. Not the greatest experience. I tried getting new printer drivers and that didn’t work.
So far whenever I’ve had really problematic printers, the workaround that works is to make them no longer be usb based printers and instead hang them off the network.
I’ve found at home that I’ve had to move my wireless printers to wired in order to get them settle down with Windows 10 as well.
Bottom line tcp/ip is working the best. Other protocols… not so much.
If you have your SBS (and Essentials) servers set up properly with a third party SSL cert and not a self signed cert, nothing should happen.
SBS can support higher SSL certs than SHA1. If your SSL cert is soon to be out of date or blocked just go to CheapSSL certs or Godaddy or wherever you get cheap certs and buy a third party SSL certs. No one should be using self signed certs anyway.
SHA1 Deprecation: What You Need to Know
Essentials is impacted by the DST and is complaining about sending out the email after the daylight savings change.
Storage server Essentials is also impacted.
Manually restart the service seems to work.
Install the cumulative update KB3197954 released on 10/27/2016 (in addition to the flash update that also came out out of band)
If you are STILL having issues connecting via RWW AFTER this update PLEASE let me know.
Addressed connectivity issue from a 32-bit application to a Remote Desktop Gateway that doesn’t have HTTP tunneling enabled.
October 27, 2016—KB3197954 (OS Build 14393.351)
https://www.yammer.com/msuspartner/#/groups/9205100/files The files are uploaded to the MS us partner yammer group.
I’d highly recommend downloading and watching as while your clients may not be THERE yet as some point in time they will be.
I’m trying to lobby to get AzureADconnect officially supported on Essentials 2012 r2 and 2016. This is a “it works” but they think we’re going to try to run both the Office 365 wizard included in Essentials as well as Azure AD connect. This is a pick one or the other, you can’t do both. But given that Microsoft is leaning very strongly to where Azure AD connect is where they want us to go, it makes no sense that it’s not supported on Essentials which is (supposedly) their entry product into cloud services.
If you automatically approve security updates in WSUS you will find that both the security and security/nonsecurity bundles will be deemed applicable and will want to install. To decline one or the other do the following:
Download from here and in the example below, Daniel is declining the security monthly bundle
Connect-PoshWSUSServer -WsusServer YourServer -port 8530
Get-PoshWSUSUpdate -Update “Security Monthly Quality Rollup” | Deny-PoshWSUSUpdate
Hat tip and major thank you and kudos to Daniel on the Patchmanagement.org list serve:
And tomorrow will be the big change in Microsoft updating.
In the meantime I’m making sure I’m all set for my Session on Windows 10 updating as well as patching the Internet of things.
If you are here in Vegas, stop by and say Hi!
So have you spotted this yet? Quickbooks 2017 throws off an error obviously pulling bad OS string data from something. Let see if we can get some attention to this and get this fixed.
As … you know Intuit? SBS 2011 is based on Server 2008 r2. There is no such thing as Server 2011.
Updated: Manually install .net 4.6.2 . Now install the QB running as compat wizard. Pick XP sp2 (don’t ask just try it). Got a report that this worked.
I got it working as a workaround by replacing the mstscax.dll (Version 10.0.14393.0) in %windir%\SysWOW64\ with the “backup file” in “Windows.old\WINDOWS\SysWOW64” version (10.0.10586.494)
I had to take ownership of the file and give Administrators Full control access to be able to replace the file.
Hope this helps someone out.
Be aware this is an extremely temporary fix. The next feature release will replace that dll for sure. If there is a security update to RDP, this will also replace the dll. So be prepared for it to not stick.
I’m still trying to work with the Essentials team to get this understood to see what our long term options are.