Dell replaces my XPS M1710 laptop

As everybody knows by now (well, those reading this blog anyways) i’ve had some ups and downs with my XPS M1710 laptop over the last 9 months.

After 7 major parts failures in just 9 months, Dell has agreed to replace my laptop – since the XPS M1710 is no longer on the market, and parts to build a new system isn’t available it seems i’m getting a factory fresh laptop, rather than what the XPS Resolution Specialist informed me when we finally got to this resolution.

The laptop i’ll be receiving in the next couple of weeks is an Alienware M17x (S510605AU) and needless to say i’m stoked with this resolution.

Not only wont i have to worry about my laptop dying on me at, sometimes, inconvenient moments, but i’ll be using one of their new Alienware models.

It’s been a long and stressful time after the first graphics card failure and I have to give Dell credit (even though i’ve been frustrated with the quality of the parts and sometimes dealing with Dell’s Technical Support) for never blinking when trying to fix it.

Unfortunately the parts in the laptop was faulty to start with – the NVidia 7950GTX graphics card had some serious cooling flaws, the same goes for the fans and heatsink.

Nevertheless, when i originally bought this laptop it was an absolute powerhouse! performance on the system was extraordinarily high, compared to other laptops – shame on the faulty guts tho.

To this day, i’ve still been able to crunch code on the XPS M1710 and we all know that Visual Studio can be a tad powerhungry.

My last encounter with overheating was what caused Dell to suggest my laptop be replaced. It took some convincing, but finally the XPS Resolution Specialist could see the logic in what i was saying – it’s a recurring problem and has been for 9 months.

So, i’ve accepted the terms and conditions and are waiting for the factory to start building.

So, thanks Dell, for listening and for coming to the table with a satisfactory resolution.

9 comments for “Dell replaces my XPS M1710 laptop

1. June 18, 2009 at 4:47 am

That’s good to hear. It is your right as a customer to get the best solution possible, and Dell did the right thing by replacing your laptop.

2. BrianMadsen
    June 18, 2009 at 5:38 pm

yes – my attitude towards Dell, after this solution was offered, has drastically changed.

they’ve done the right thing by me and for that i’m grateful – it’s one worry i don’t have to consider any more.

Now i just need to wait for the unit to arrive and i’ll be returning everything else to Dell from the M1710.

3. June 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm

I had exactly the same problem. Dell replaced motherboard in my laptop 4 times. Can’t wait for a good chance to throw it out.

4. Mark Hayes
    July 15, 2009 at 4:09 am

Hi i have just come across this blog, I am having the same problem with my xps i recently went to upgrade the driver on graphics card all went ok but the within 5 mins of playing world of warcraft online the laptop shuts down due to overheating?? When i rollback the driver it works ok for some reason. I was just wondering how long you have had the xps before these probs started and how long was the warranty on the xps. thanks

5. BrianMadsen
    July 15, 2009 at 4:16 am

I had the laptop for less than a year when this started to happen.

Consistently, for the coming 9 months, i had problems with 7 major repairs done.

i ended up having had:

– 4 motherboards replace
    – 4 graphics cards replaced
    – 3 1/2 sets of fans replaced
    – 4 heatsinks replaced

Finally the situation was such that Dell offered me a replacement unit – which is what i’m waiting for at the moment.

My warranty was initially for 1 year, but due to having had 3 technicians out in rapid succession, with no fix, Dell offered to extend my warranty with another year on top of my original warranty period.

So, roughly 9-10 months old when i began to have this problem.

6. Henry
    July 27, 2009 at 8:05 am

Exactly the same issues, had them for nearly a year now… 3 replacement graphics cards and a new LCD in the process. Finally been offered a M1730 in replacement, better than nothing and looking forward to not having to deal with their “customer support” for a long time.

7. Adam
    August 5, 2009 at 3:44 pm

So I had the same problem, just one day during a normal use the monitor went black and I was unable to start the computer. I’ve had the m1710 for under 2 years. After sending back the machine and getting countless responses of “back order” my laptop finally came back repaired, replacing the video card (nvidia7950) and motherboard, a month and 2 days later. Last week they said they would replace it with a new one because they did not know when the parts would be coming in, my representative was “shocked” and “determined to make this issue right”. But if I wasn’t up there a$$ the thing would probably sit there for months. The m1710 stinks and I am in a way pissed that I still have it. This is my last Dell computer and I would not suggest this machine or Dell because there are too many divisions that do not communicate with each other correctly.

Brian, do not believe you will get a new laptop until it is physically in your hands!

8. Richard
    September 6, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I had an accident with my m1730. Was at a friends house took my laptop out side on the balcony to smoke a cigarette when my friend said something so I turn to ask “what” and hit my laptop by accident with my elbow an it fell damaging it.

I contacted dell once I got home they sent a overnight box been a little over a week with no response from dell.

Should I just keep waiting or bug the hell out of them?

9. Adam
    September 15, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Richard, stay on them!!!! If you are under warranty you are a bit safer but if not call everyday, take names, play dumb, ask questions. I was on them everyday and it was still a month because of the old “back order” nonsense.

Comments are closed.