My desktops and notebooks are not up-to-date. This blog is also not being filled with any entries. I’m blaming no one other than the damaged submarine cable at the local ISP. It $uck$ to not to be able to reach destinations that I want to reach.
Today, the connection is fast again. Hope it stays. I missed posting .. a lot. I missed my online friends and co-team members in community forums.
Hey, I visited Microsoft Update website just now to hopefully get this computers up-to-date and I was greeted with Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool update (with screenshots there for Windows and for Firefox browsers). If you don’t have it yet, get it 🙂
BTW, I see my blog theme is different. It seems the admins did some upgrade/update here (Thanks guys!). I’ll go and have a look-see on settings soon.
I was offline for many days because of some personal thingy. Then the network in my location isn’t running normal. The one and only ISP here in Macau says .. it’s now under-going repair and they said.. it might last for one week to finish the repair. Any destination outside Asia is a no-go to me the past few days.
Today, accessing sites outside Asia is OK but not good because it’s very slow. Hopefully I can get good connection to start posting here and there (forums). BTW, Hi to all!
BitDefender announced today the release of the Beta version of the BitDefender 10 Internet Security package, which offers complete protection from Internet threats.
The open beta period will last until the end of June and will be a great opportunity for new and old BitDefender users to get acquainted with the next generation – and gain prizes in doing so, as beta testers who post the most confirmed bugs or provide feedback and feature requests will receive special prizes from BitDefender, namely a trip to meet the BitDefender Desktop development team, 1 laptop, 10 mp3 players, 100 free licenses for the commercial version of new product and 1000 10% discount coupons for same.
“BitDefender 10 Internet Security will add a lot of feature improvements and new functionality over the previous version. For instance, we’re pushing a rootkit detector engine out the door, adding HTTP and SMTP traffic scanning (protocol-level antivirus for web and mail file transfers), as well as a privacy protection module to prevent malicious individuals or programs from stealing confidential information (such as credit card numbers). Given that we’re piling on top of that a lot of changes to the firewall module and huge improvements to the proactive detection module (it’s actually called B-HAVE now to reflect the scope of change) – given all those changes, we felt that a long and lively beta campaign would help both ourselves and our users get the most out of all this exciting new tech we’re pushing out the door” declared Carmen Maierean, BitDefender Product Manager.
The beta kit is available starting today on all BitDefender websites, free of charge. Users wishing to participate in the “powers of ten” bug-hunting contest have only to register a valid e-mail address to do so.
Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification
Updated: May 4, 2006
Microsoft plan to release the following updates on May 9:
- One Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft Exchange. The highest Maximum Severity rating for this is Critical. These updates may require a restart. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. Note that this update will include the functionality change discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 912918. Administrators are urged to review this Knowledge Base article prior to release and take steps appropriate for their environment.
- Two Microsoft Security Bulletins affecting Microsoft Windows. The highest Maximum Severity rating for these is Critical. These updates may require a restart. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and the Enterprise Scanning Tool
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
- Microsoft will release an updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services and the Download Center. Note that this tool will NOT be distributed using Software Update Services (SUS).
Non-security High Priority updates on MU, WU, WSUS and SUS
- Microsoft will not release any NON-SECURITY High-Priority Updates for Windows on Windows Update (WU) and Software Update Services (SUS).
- Microsoft will release two NON-SECURITY High-Priority Updates on Microsoft Update (MU) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
Register for the May Security Bulletin Webcast:
Microsoft will host a webcast on May 10 (the day after releasing the scheduled security bulletin) the security bulletins. The webcast focuses on addressing your questions and concerns about the security bulletins. Therefore, most of the live webcast is aimed at giving you the opportunity to ask questions and get answers from their security experts.
Start Time: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 11:00 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
End Time: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:00 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Presenter: Christopher Budd, CISA, CISM, CISSP, ISSMP Security Program Manager, PSS Security, Microsoft Corporation
Extra reading: What to do before “Patch Tuesday”? Why Advanced Notification on security bulletins is important?
Windows Live Safety Center scanner may not be able to remove viruses stored in container files in certain folders. Read the details at: