Thom Robbins e-mailed me this morning with news of a new contest for .NET Compact Framework developers –
Want a Mobile Device?
Mobile applications are quickly becoming an essential component of application development. One of the things that many people don’t realize is that any .NET developer is already a mobile developer! We are taking the Mobile Message across the county with the .NET To Go Mobility Roadshow. This Roadshow is showcasing and teaching developers everywhere how today, they can develop Compact Framework applications using the power of Visual Studio .NET 2003. The feedback has been tremendous! The problem is that we need to see some code and are willing to trade you a brand spanking new Windows Mobile device for it!
Show Me the Code!!!
Here’s how the contest works:
- All contest entries must be received by midnight November 25, 2004.
- We are looking for any and all interesting sample applications that target the Compact Framework using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
- You must live in the United States. (Sorry but it has to be!)
- Extra points are given for creativity and usefulness. The application must do something interesting, unique, and creative. (I definitely don’t want to see any “Hello World” applications). The more creative and interesting the better your application will score.
- Applications must be fully functional and can be games, business productivity solutions, recipe programs – the only limit is your imagination! Remember creativity counts!
- You must provide all source code (Absolutely no commercial applications).
- All sample applications must run within any of the available Visual Studio .NET 2003 emulators. The key is that you don’t need a device to enter the contest!
Use the emulator to get the device!
What can I get? – It’s simple:
- A Windows Powered Mobile Device!
All entries received will be posted as samples to help others and spread the word of the power of the Compact Framework! Whether you win a device or not I post all sample code and applications.
My mother always taught me that sharing is caring!
How do I win? – It’s simple:
We will review and score all entries using a combination of how the application exploits features of the Compact Framework and how interesting and useful is the application. Remember – Creativity and the usefulness of your application is the key to winning a device. All applications will be ranked using these two points and validated using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
Once we complete the judging the top 5% of all submitted applications will receive either a Smart Phone, Pocket PC or some other fantastic shiny new Windows Powered Mobile Device.
Yes you read that right! The more applications we receive the more devices we give out. According to my math if I receive 3000 samples that means we give out 150 new shiny Windows Mobile devices!
Do you want a Device? Then show me the code!!!
How do you submit you application?
Submit your application by sending an email that contains the following items.
- Name, Phone Number, and email address
- A screen shot of your application running within the emulator. Creativity and usefulness are given the highest grading weight so make sure your screen shot shows the most interesting feature of your application.
- Maximum of a 250 word description of your application.
- Attach all code in a compressed file. Make sure that you include all source code so that we can run it.
- Sorry but any incomplete contest entry will not be considered.
Help me to spread the word and give away more devices! Tell your family, friends, loved ones and others and get them to write me some code! Every speaker on the tour is waiting to see what you are writing. If you are attending the Mobility Roadshow make sure to bring your application and show it off!
Show me the code and you could get a Windows Mobile device!
You can keep up with all the latest news and developments on this at Thom’s blog.