Filed under: Tools
Recently I was asked if I knew a method that would allow some users of my Organization to modify the information displayed in the Global Address List (GAL).
I immediately thought on the GAL Modify tool (GALMOD), a nice piece of software from Microsoft, available on the Exchange Resource Kit. There’s a KB article with detailed instructions on how to use GALMOD.
But GALMOD has some limitations, for instance it has to be installed on every desktop from which you want to allow GAL editing.
The Directory Update service is a .NET web application written in C# that provides an authenticated user the ability to update some of their Active Directory attributes. Features of Directory Update include:
- Improved directory accuracy: City, State, Department, Company, Office, and Country attributes must be selected from a customizable validated drop-down list
- Drop-down lists can be converted to text fields and vice versa – New!
- Fields or entire sections can be hidden from the user interface – New!
- Administrator can restrict which attributes can be updated
- Customizable help string and help page
- Customizable page and window titles
- Customizable attribute labels
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment
Line and paragraph breaks automatic, e-mail address never displayed, HTML allowed:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>