- What is a role of a DBA in an organization?
- What are the daily activities of a DBA?
- What shall I check on regular basis?
- What all processes shall I automate ?
- What are the precautions, I have to take additionally?
These are the common question being asked in-common on may forums, here is what my listing is
• Design and implement Disaster Recovery
• Design, development, upgrade and Migration of Database Server.
• Providing support and handling most critical situations in vast variety of database systems.
• Database Optimization / Query Performance Tuning.
• Design and implementation Automated Database & Application fail over server setup.
• Capacity Planning, Change Management and Admin. Documentation.
• Review of existing design and specifications of the system.
• Design and documentation of operational specifications of the system.
• Monitoring of the development process, in order to confirm optimum performance of the system.
• Preparation of standards and follow up rules for the back – end system, to ensure a fully secured and a robust system.
• Design and implementation of the logical & physical structure of the database.
• Monitoring of performance of database servers and providing tuning measures.
• Performing database / application wide query tuning operations.
Try automate every process that needs to be performed on daily basis and/or requires manual intervention.
— Hemantgiri S. Goswami (http://www.sql-server-citation.com)