Below is an interesting survey of mistakes made during prospective interviews:
Job Interviews – CareerBuilder lists Worst Mistakes
QUOTE: When asked what the most outrageous blunders they had encountered interviewing candidates were, hiring managers reported the following:
* Provided a detailed listing of how previous employer made them mad.
* Hugged hiring manager at the end of the interview.
* Ate all the candy from the candy bowl while trying to answer questions.
* Constantly bad mouthed spouse.
* Blew her nose and lined up the used tissues on the table in front of her.
* Brought a copy of their college diploma that had obviously been white-outed and their name added.
* Wore a hat that said “take this job and shove it.”
* Talked about how an affair cost him a previous job.
* Threw his beer can in the outside trashcan before coming into the reception office.
* Had a friend come in and ask “HOW MUCH LONGER?”
In addition to the most unusual gaffes, employers shared the most common mistakes candidates made during an interview:
* Answering a cell phone or texting during the interview – 71 percent
* Dressing inappropriately – 69 percent
* Appearing disinterested – 69 percent
* Appearing arrogant – 66 percent
* Speaking negatively about a current or previous employer – 63 percent
* Chewing gum – 59 percent
* Not providing specific answers – 35 percent
* Not asking good questions – 32 percent