Facecrooks security highlights a new tool available to assess privacy for popular Facebook apps
QUOTE: Privacyscore, a project conducted by Privacychoice, recently released a Facebook application that rates the privacy risks of the most popular Facebook applications. Pictured below is what you’ll see when you visit the app. Hovering over one of the featured apps, displays their score.
As with all BETA products, a good working knowledge of how to work around issues is essential:
Microsoft – Security Essentials v4 BETA release
QUOTE: Microsoft has released Security Essentials 4.0, the latest version of its lightweight, straightforward antivirus package. The bulk of the changes this time are under the hood. MSE’s “Automatic Remediation” now does a better job of quarantining threats on its own, for instance, no user intervention required. And Microsoft claims scanning performance and malware detection rates have both improved on the previous build.
Facebook is now actively promoting AV solutions that include free 6 month trial periods plus products like MSE, AVG, or AVAST that are completely free
Facebook Security Page
Facebook Security – AV Products being promoted for better security
QUOTE: One of the more exciting announcements made in the post is that the security companies mentioned above will be sharing educational materials on the Facebook Security page.
Hundreds of pages of data are highlighted in the latest release
Microsoft SIR Volume 12 release – Huge release of analytical information
QUOTE: Today we released the latest volume of the Microsoft Security Intelligence Report (SIR) containing a large body of new data and analysis on the threat landscape. This volume of the SIR includes:
• Latest industry vulnerability disclosure trends and analysis
• Latest data and analysis of global vulnerability exploit activity
• Latest trends and analysis on global malware and potentially unwanted software
• Latest analysis of threat trends in more than 100 countries/regions around the world
• Latest data and insights on how attackers are using spam and other email threats
• Latest global and regional data on malicious websites including phishing sites, malware hosting sites and drive-by download sites