The ISC offers an update on outages and malware/scam attacks associated with Hurricane Sandy
QUOTE: If you reside in the effected area, you are probably best off staying at home. Many roads are blocked by debris and in some cases by downed power lines. Here are some of the typical issues we see after an event like this:
– outages of communications networks as batteries and generator fuel supplies run out.
– malware using the disaster as a ruse to get people to install the malicious software (“watch this video of the flooding”)
– various scams trying to take advantage of disaster victims.
A couple ways how the internet can help in a disaster like this:
– many power companies offer web pages to report and monitor outages.
– FEMA offers updates on it’s “ready.gov” and “disasterassistance.gov” web sites.
– local governments offer mobile applications to keep residents informed.