Recently, I assisted friends in cleaning their home computer. In searching for cleaning tools, this link from Tech Republic was discovered, documenting some of the best free tools available. These portable toolkits are free and they are valuable resources in recovery from malware infections. We were successful in cleaning the malware infections.
QUOTE: Sometimes the antivirus tools installed on the machine just aren’t enough. When that time comes, you’ll be glad you have one (or more) tools on your USB drive to help you out. I’ve found five such tools that could certainly get you out of a serious pinch. All of these tools are portable and work like champs.
1. ClamWin Portable – is very much like its big brother: It’s free, open source, and does a great job of disinfecting machines. ClamWin has a very high detection rate, has frequently updated definitions, and has an easy to use graphical interface.
2. Sophos Anti Rootkit Portable – is one of those tools you hope you never have to use; but you know, at some point, you will. Sophos is remarkably adept at locating root kits – especially for a portable app. Sophos: scans, detects and removes rootkits, is 100% free, supports Windows XP, Vista and 7, and works alongside your existing antivirus
3. Emsisoft Free Emergency Toolkit – is a powerful malware removal tool that can scan for, and remove, over six million dangers to your PC. Emsisoft Free Emergency Toolkit has both a GUI and a command line version, so you can scan your machine even if there are problems with the GUI.
4. Vipre Rescue – is that tool you use when your machine is severely infected. Vipre is run in safe mode and does not depend upon a GUI tool for use. You double-click the executable and a command window opens with the scanner running (and running at blazing speeds).
5. Spybot Search and Destroy Portable – is the portable version of the massively popular full Spybot Search and Destroy. This antimalware tool does a great job of finding and removing malicious software – all from your flash drive. Spybot has a unique feature that will help you backup your registry before you begin the scan.