Warnings have been issued for young people to avoid this dangerous new act, that is sometimes being promoted by their friends using social networking resources
The “choking game” has sparked a social media craze with teenagers posting photos and videos of people choking themselves for a brief high that causes people to pass out – or in some cases, causes death. Thousands of Facebook and Twitter users have revived “The Choking Game” – a thrill-seeking activity that involves strangulation and often fainting in order to induce a temporary feeling of euphoria caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. Also called the “fainting game,” the oxygen deprivation causes grey-outs that some have deemed near-death experiences.
Medical professionals told KTVI-TV that teens cause the self-induced hyperventilation in order to achieve an adrenaline rush. The game is extremely dangerous; at best, it kills off brain cells and causes participants to faint and lose consciousness. At worst, it’s deadly; according to the nonprofit organization Games Adolescents Shouldn’t Play (GASP), 900 reported deaths have been attributed to the game.