John Maxwell is sharing a new weekly series during 2016 called the “Secrets for Success”. The first week focuses on personal health which is important for all team leaders
As someone who hasn’t always taken his health seriously, I want to emphasize the importance of this area of your life. I took my health for granted until I had my heart attack in 1998 – and even after that, I struggled to embrace healthy living. Fortunately, I’ve gotten better over time. And I’ve discovered that there is no substitute for making daily choices to eat the right amount of nutritious foods and engage in the right amount of physical exercise. I talk regularly with my doctors to know what is safe and effective for me, and that’s a good place for anyone to begin.
You see, how you eat, how you exercise, how you choose to feel about the day, all have significant impact on your quality of life. If you eat poorly, it can make you feel tired. If you go to the gym early, it can be the kick start your day truly needs. Even something as small as waking up and saying to yourself, “Today, I will choose to be positive” can transform how you experience the day.
1. I decide I will be healthy today.
2. I choose to eat, drink and do healthy things today.
That’s it! Nothing more to it – you simply repeat those two steps each day. But to give you some practical handles for this idea, allow me to suggest the following:
* Instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs.
* Instead of drinking a soda, drink water.
* Instead of ordering the super-size meal, order the small.
* Instead of parking next to the building, park farther away and walk.
* Instead of ordering dessert, be content to pass.
* Instead of allowing the day to dictate how you feel, choose to see the good in the day.