Flexera Software released a new version of their setup authoring tool, InstallShield 2013.
Improvements in the new version include:
- Ability to create pure 64 bit msi setups. All customs actions that are included with InstallShield are now available in 64 bit (not included in Express edition).
- Windows 8 improvements like Start screen icon pinning options and best practices validation (validation not included in Express).
- Ability to create Microsoft App-V packages in the Premier edition. In other words: the Virtualization Pack which used to be an add-on purchase is now included in Premier at no extra charge. This also means that the Virtualization Pack for the Professional Edition is no longer available.
- Virtualization suitability testing is also included in Premier and supports VMware ThinApp and Citrix XenApp in addition to App-V.
- Installing Windows Roles and Features and running PowerShell scripts in the Suite/AdvancedUI project type (only in Premier).
For additional details see the Release Notes for InstallShield 2013 Professional and Premier and InstallShield 2013 Express. Note that the Premier edition no longer includes a Repackager. For repackaging tasks Flexera Software recommends their AdminStudio product (which also includes InstallShield as editor).
Flexera Software also removed support for some outdated technologies and versions from InstallShield 2013. This means that Windows Installer 2.0 and 3.0, ClickOnce, Visual Basic and several others are no longer available or supported. For a complete list see knowledge base article Q212461.
InstallShield 2013 is available in Premier, Professional and Express editions. The Limited Edition which comes with Visual Studio has not yet been updated.
There will be a webinar introducing what’s new in InstallShield 2013 on 18th June. Details can be found on the registration page.
InstallShield 2011 End of Life Announcement
Flexera Software also announced the End of Life for InstallShield 2011. Owners of this version can only update to InstallShield 2013 until end of June.
You can buy InstallShield 2013 in the InstallSite shop at http://www.installsite.biz/installshield.htm
Posted in Industry News | Comments Off on InstallShield 2013 Released