A friend of of mine John Spinella is an Visio Studio ALM Ranger and the first person I know who could get the SharePoint builds automated in TFS. He and the Team have just released a set of build process / reference templates
The Build Release and Deploy (BRD) Lite is a set of build process reference templates that allows you to quickly setup a real-world build process in your environment. It leverages extensions from Community TFS Build Extensions, which provide capabilities for your Team Foundation builds such as automatic compile, build version number customization, build packaging, code signing, basic deployment functionality, and environment configuration file management into your Team Foundation builds.
The “Lite” comes from giving you a build template that you or your Build administrators can use “out of the box” for most scenarios. Of course, you can always customize and extend as needed.
Visual Studio ALM Rangers
This guidance is created by the Visual Studio ALM Rangers, who have the mission to provide out of band solutions for missing features and/or guidance. This content was created with support from Microsoft Product Group, members of Microsoft Services, Microsoft Most Valued Professionals (MVPs) and technical specialists from technology communities around the globe, giving you a real-world view from the field, where the technology has been tested and used.
What is included in the downloads?
The solution is divided in separate packages to give you the choice of selective downloads. The default download is the first of the listed packages:
- Hands-on Labs (HOL)
- Build Templates
The Epics included in the guidance are:
- As Abu, the build master, I would like to understand the changes and impact of Visual Studio 2012 on BRDLite As Abu, the build master, I need guidance on extending the BRDLite reference template with new custom activities. As Abu, the build master, I would like a number of BRDLite reference templates, which implement scenario based custom activities.
Build Customization Guide
- BRDLite was originally shipped with the Build Customization Guide as a practical build template that would provide hands on guidance on how to implement the TFS Build Extensions. Refer to the Build Customization Guide for practical guidance on build customization, an overview of BRDLite and the BRDLite v1.0 templates.
- The current version of the SPDisposeCheck can be downloaded from the SharePoint Dispose Checker site.
- CAT.NET 2.0
- The 2.0 CTP of Cat.NET can be downloaded from Microsoft Connect
- Community TFS Build Extensions
- Community TFS Build Extensions – this project makes use of the Community TFS Build Extensions which is a collection of custom build activities, templates and other resources for Team Foundation Build. Please visit and follow this project for the latest releases.
- Bijan Javari, Brandon Haw baker, Jim Lamb, John Jacob, John Spinella, Mike Fourier, Richard Fennell, William Bartholomew, Willy-Peter Scab
- How to submit new ideas?
- The recommended method is to post ideas to the Discussions Page or to contact the Rangers at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ee358786.aspx.
- Post comments on the Discussions Page.
If you haven’t downloaded and used the reference templates and guidance now is the time …
Thank you Jon it look pretty cool I will be post a follow-up and let you know what I find