It’s Hot off the Press! SCVMM 2008 R2 download evaluation.
VMM 2008 R2 can manage all the platforms managed by VMM 2008 and adds support for Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V.
Windows Server 2008 R2 includes significant feature improvements to Hyper-V. VMM 2008 R2 leverages these new platform enhancements and extends the feature set of VMM 2008.
Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Host Management
- VMM 2008 R2 creates and manages virtual machines running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V hosts. When you add a host that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 that does not have Hyper-V enabled, VMM 2008 R2 automatically enables the Hyper-V role on the host.
- VMM 2008 R2 supports the following new features of Windows Server 2008 R2:
- Live migration between Windows Server 2008 R2 clustered hosts. With live migration, you can migrate a virtual machine from one node of a Windows Server 2008 R2 failover cluster to another node in the same cluster without any downtime. Because the virtual machine does not experience any downtime, the move is completely transparent to the users that are connected to the virtual machine.
- Network optimization detection during virtual machine placement. VMM 2008 R2 supports both Virtual Machine Queue (VMQ) and TCP Chimney, which are Windows Server 2008 R2 features that improve network performance for virtual machines.
- Network adapters that support the VMQ feature are able to create a unique network queue for each virtual network adapter and then connect that queue directly to the virtual machine’s memory. This connection routes packets directly from the hypervisor to the virtual machine, bypassing much of the processing in the virtualization stack.
- Network adapters that support the TCP Chimney feature are able to offload the processing of network traffic from the networking stack. Both of these features increase network performance and reduce CPU utilization.
- Hot addition and removal of virtual hard disks (VHDs). In Windows Server 2008 R2, Hyper-V allows users to add and remove VHDs from a virtual machine while it is running.
Feature Bullet Summary:
- Live migration
- Clustered Shared Volume (CSV) support that enables multiple Highly Available Virtual Machines (HAVM) per LUN.
- Hot add of storage
- Support for VMware vSphere 4 (VMware VI3 feature parity only)
- SAN Migration into and out of clustered hosts
- Processor flexibility
- Network optimization
- Quick storage migration
- Maintenance mode for hosts
- Support for third party cluster file system, Sanbolic Melio FS
- Support for third party storage class resource, Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows
- Expanded support for iSCSI SANs
- Support for VMware port groups for virtual switches
- Support for Virtual Machine permissions assigned in Hyper-V
- Dynamic policy based load balancing