Well, Christmas is almost here. I’m putting this out early as our family will be doing our annual “visit the relatives, and stuff ourselves silly” effort on Christmas Day!
Ann Landers used to always write a Christmas Day letter to her readers. I’m not nearly as proficient with words, but I certainly do hope and pray that everyone has a happy and joyous time this weekend – whether it’s spent with family or friends or neighbors.
But please don’t spend it alone. Loneliness is the worst thing I could imagine ever wishing on someone. We, as humans, have been given an extraordinary gift to love and care for one another – even people we have never met. Perhaps you have been a recipient of such an act of kindness or unconditional love.
In the midst of busy stores and highways, and lot’s of food and gifts, don’t forget to look past all of the glitter to the real meaning of Christmas – – – that each of us is called to make this world a better place. No matter what your religious beliefs – the fact is that the one person we celebrate and honor at this time of year did indeed make a difference, and 2,000 years later, the world still doesn’t know how to deal with his call and his challenge to change how we live, and how we treat and care for one another.
- We have troops around the world fighting for freedom … I pray that their sacrifices will make this a better world.
- We have people dying every day from hunger or AIDS or cancer … I pray that advances in medicine will make this a better world.
- We have school age children hungering to make a difference in the world … I pray that we have good teachers that will be paid what they deserve to make this a better world
- We have neighborhoods ravaged by drugs and crimes … I pray that our local communities and police will continue to stay involved to make this a better world
- We have businesses that are far too often run by greed and pride and the love of money … I pray that people will step up to say that ethical decisions still have a place to make this a better world
- We have too many people in the world who won’t look one another in the eye to even say ‘Good Morning’ … I pray that we never take one another for granted, and take the blessings of this world for granted
- There is way too much pessimism and hopelessness in our world … I pray that people would have the faith to believe and see that miracles can and do happen … everyday
Excuse my language … but d*mn the political agendas, d*mn the condescending attitudes of our countries, d*mn the people who think that killing for killing sake will solve a thing, d*mn the jerks who take advantage of young children or elderly folks, and d*mn the people who think that if you’re not born perfect, then you don’t deserve to live …
This world we live in has survived for thousands and millions of years. I believe we have not yet run our course. We will always be faced with new challenges and decisions. How and what we choose will determine if we indeed make this a better world.
I wish each and everyone of you a most blessed Christmas holiday … and that in some way our small SBS newsgroup community has helped to make a difference in your life, and in your business. I will close with the words to one of my favorite “new” Christmas songs of recent times:
Mary, Did You Know
(Written by Mark Lowry & Buddy Greene)
Mary did you know that your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you’ve delivered, will soon deliver you
Mary did you know that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary did you know that your baby boy will calm the storm with his hand?
Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby, you’ve kissed the face of God
Mary did you know? Mary did you know?
The blind will see, The deaf will hear, The dead will live again
The lame will leap, The dumb will speak the praises of the Lamb
Mary did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary did you know that your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know that your baby boy is heaven’s perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you’re holding – is the Great I Am!
Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP]
“The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long”