0x00000ba0 error

My Acer laptop had been working like a charm for over a year. However, after updating it for IE7 and installing my copy of Verizon’s VzAccess software, I suddenly started getting numerous popup errors both when booting up my laptop, and also when exiting most applicaitons, including Internet Explorer. Except for the .exe file listed, the popup errors were identical:


Application popup: wmiprvse.exe – Application Error : The instruction at “0x00b1f020″ referenced memory at “0x00000ba0″. The memory could not be “read”.


Looking at the error, you would think it was a memory problem. Not so. Googling for the error code just confirmed that I was not the only one to have ever encountered this problem. But no real solutions. I even uninstalled both IE7 and Verizon VzAccess, but it did not fix the problem. Other people suggested the problem was caused by conflicts between .Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0, or an unregistered DLL.


Mind you, the computer was still working perfectly. I would just get these pop up error messgaes when closing an application, like IE.


Finally, I tried searching other places besides Google and Microsoft. Evwen though this was an Acer laptop, I went to the Dell Forum and started searching, and finally found the cause and solution. The problem was being caused by an older version of the Venturi compression program that is installed when installing Verizon’s VzAccess software. Once I uninstalled the Venturi program, the error codes went away. I then downloaded and installed the latest version of the Venturi software (3.3), and it appears they addressed the issue, as I am having no more error popups.