All in all my migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 went well. I am planning on posting several of the errors I found at a later time. But there was one issue that had been plaguing me since the migration.
Several users (myself included) had issues download the Offline Address Book (OAB). The local clients would just get stuck trying to download it and worse the remote users outlook sessions would hang completely. I tried several things, which did not solve the issue (including having one of my remote users upgrade from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 to see if that would fix his issue). I opened a support case with Microsoft and while we were working through the issue (I plan on posting snippets of the case once it is close). I was doing my own searching because the problem would occur and then resolve itself then re-occur again with no rime nor reason. I came across a blog posting on the EMEA SBS Team’s site:
Today we implemented the fix and so far things are looking great. I wanted to get this out only because I am a real life case of how the problem existed for a user and how the fix actually did fix my problem (thus far).
The interesting thing, is my local and remote users were having OAB issues not just RPC issues.
To fix the problem we did the following:
1. We made modifications to the web.config file in the following path:
C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\webapp\SBS Web Applications
2. We removed
<add name=”HttptoHttpsRedir” type=”Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.IWorker.IIS.Modules.HttpToHttpsRedir,HttpToHttpsRedir,Version=184.108.40.206, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35″ preCondition=”” />
between <modules> and </modules>
3. Did IISReset