Right now I am finishing version 0.00….1 of HookApplication. This is tiny utility that could be (hope so) quite powerfull in fact.
It allows you to hook to different applications and change their behavior based on file name (calc.exe for example) – right now I got 3 scenarios supported:
- Disable application – if someone try to run application, it wont start, instead msgbox is presented (or nothing, depends on your choice). If you (for whatever reason) dont want to use Software Restriction, this is scripted way how to perform it. This is just “by the way” feature.
- Replace application – this allows you to redirect application to another one. For example you can replace taskmgr with Process Explorer (I know this is not best example, because Process Explorer supports this by default), I am using this for replacing Notepad with Crimson Editor, Calc with PowerCalc (or what the heck is the name…) etc.
- Custom actions – here are many oportunities and it depends on your imagination. You can create custom list of actions. Example for monitoring solitair usage:
- Create entry in log file (StarterPlaying, Username, date, time) when user started application
- Start main application, wait until it finished
- When he closes it, create entry in log file (FinishedPlaying, Username, date, time)
There are many ways how you could use it… Right now I got few scripts linked with it and I am testing, for example I got application (lets say Accounting.exe) and we have only 5 licenses. I got custom actions linked with this executable, that means that whenever you run it, it will first check if there are less than 5 instances running and then it will allow you to run it.
Linking with application is based on process name, therefore if you run this application from cmd, shortcut, double-clicking on icon, it doesnt matter.
Next week I would like to publish some preview version, if any one of you got some space where to host it, let me know.
Also I would REALLY appreciate if you could write some comments – features you would like to request, questions etc, it will help me a lot if I could think about these questions before application is finished.
Here is example screen from Hook application manager: