Along comes Trend Worry Free Professional which allows you to setup your browser to the external proxy in Trend Micro’s Amazon cloud.
You can setup Ldap integration with your AD and then after the staff have used it, do reports on their activity.
This all sounds really nice.
So what are the real world issues with this product?
- Using it from South Australia and using Proxy servers on the eastern side of Australia, my latency is huge. It adds 30 ms. A slow ADSL2+ connection feels this badly. All my pages are delayed and slow coming up. The experience over fibre or in the eastern states is far less exaggerated.
- I keep getting certificate popups. I get it for my email (Especially using Office 365), I get it for many of the HTTPS sites I use.
- The proxy settings are easy to tamper with. Unless you lock IE settings down or force the settings via Group policy, users can bypass the proxy.
- I have a few websites that “sometimes work”. One happens to be my webmail. The experience is very hit and miss with the proxy turned on.
- The built in reports are very basic. They don’t give me enough detail.
Ok, this all sounds really bad. Yes, there are some teething issues and the latency is killing me so why do I love this product ?
- It filters all my outbound web traffic and removes Malware and viruses instantly as discovered.
- I can dump the raw logs into Excel an do my own reports.
- I can have external roaming users logged into this no matter where they are in the world.
- I have control of what happens on the network.
So if you have Fibre, are in the eastern states or have a client with very little expectations (maybe they are not a big internet user) then this is an awesome tool.
If you are a geek like me, you have to work out if the tool makes your habits safer and live with it, or forge ahead as the speed annoyed you and run other protection.
Don’t forget, this is only version 1, future advancements will help.