It’s only numbers, you know. This is mine and as you can see, there are no 7.9’s here.
I almost have a 5.0 WEI which is not bad considering that the top mark for a system of this age is only 5.9. Not too shabby for a motherboard which dates back to 2003, eh.
I have an nVidia N6600 shoving stuff around the screen which is barely supported these days. It falls down on gaming a little because it is not too fast by todays standards and lacks some of the pixel shading ability of later video cards. As it stands, the machine is great for general computing and older games, and it is not costing me a great deal at all. For around $60 – 70, I could bump the graphics sections up into the 5’s, and although the WEI wouldn’t go to a 5.x, it would still be not too bad.
I am happy that my system does all that I ask, and I can see that it does without having to refer to the WEI. If there was no WEI to remind me that my video card is far from top notch, I would be even happier. PCpitstop thinks that my computer is in the top 48% of all computers. This makes me happy in that I obviously don’t have the worst machine on the block.
Nuts to all of the WEI stuff. I have spent way too much time contemplating video cards, and the funny part is that MSTS doesn’t care what video card is installed. I could install a 4mb Matrox Mystique still run the game.
Look at the requirements for MSTS:
- PC with 266 MHz equivalent or higher processor
- 32 MB of RAM for Windows 95/ 98/Me; 64 MB for Windows 2000
- Approximately 1.5 GB of available hard disk space for a full install, 500 MB of available hard disk space for a minimum install
- Quad-speed or higher CD-ROM drive
- DirectX 7.0a video driver
- DirectX 7.0a or later compatible 4 MB video card capable of 800 x 600 resolution in 32K colors
- Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
OK guys. I am off for a run up the Kicking Horse pass. Four CN SD70’s are warming up ready to haul a 60 car mixed freight, and it is snowing. Wish me luck, eh..