The date: Oct. 25, 2001. The event: Microsoft releases XP.
The bad points:
- It took up way more space than it’s Win 9x cousins
- It required way more memory than it’s Win 9x cousins
- A fair amount of older programs and hardware were not compatible
- A few Windows functions and conventions either had a name change or a code change
The good points:
- It would run without crashing out
- It didn’t suffer the registry problems of Win 9x
- It didn’t have restrictions re filling up the desktop or running too many fonts
It was a huge improvement over Windows 98, but reception initially was mixed. I saw it as being the saviour of all PC’s and I told them so. It came really good after the release of the SP2 service pack
I get tired of people telling me that I used to really like XP.
THAT WAS THEN, AND NOW IS NOT THEN.. XP is ELEVEN years old!!
Windows 7 is the best NOW, better than Windows 8 if you need a proper desktop. If Windows 8 or 9 ever get proper desktop control, maybe they will be the best.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.